Boss RE-2 Space Echo (and RE-202!)

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Mike
I like EL34s

Re: Boss RE-2 Space Echo (and RE-202!)

Post by Mike »

Can’t you get a really accurate space echo plugin for like nothing?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Face it, playing with IRL knobblies is more fun. Put that on my headstone.

I've got a HX Stomp full of models, and yet I'm still pumped about picking up and trying pedals, especially those with built-in functionality that let you further fuck with parameters in real time.

Have actually been scoping the RE-2 out as it turn out tape echo is my favourite thing, and the 'tone conrol + reverb + modulation' aspect in such a small form factor is neat. Obviously IDGAF about multi-tap stuff; what am I, Bono, the guitarist from The Edge??
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Doog wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:09 am Face it, playing with IRL knobblies is more fun. Put that on my headstone.

I've got a HX Stomp full of models, and yet I'm still pumped about picking up and trying pedals, especially those with built-in functionality that let you further fuck with parameters in real time.

Have actually been scoping the RE-2 out as it turn out tape echo is my favourite thing, and the 'tone conrol + reverb + modulation' aspect in such a small form factor is neat. Obviously IDGAF about multi-tap stuff; what am I, Bono, the guitarist from The Edge??
Have you checked out the Strymon Deco? It' has some really interesting Tape Echo effects.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I did actually! Very flexible, but not quite in the way I wanted, alas.

HEADLINE NEWS:
I also did end up buying a new Boss RE-2 at the weekend, but turns out it doesn't suit me as much as other things I've got when A-B'ed.

Without the Saturation control of its bigger brother, it's pretty clean and sparkly until you're into long delay times and repeats, so doesn't really do the 'gnarly' rockabilly thing, which is kinda a go-to for me. This isn't really helped by the Tone control, which mainly serves to remove highs AND mids, so pushes the echoes far into the background . The Wow & Flutter control is really nice, and goes just enough into 'wonky' to make it valuable without need for additional controls.

The additional reverb is a nice touch; its a little middly compared to the delays themselves (I guess so they're not tripping over each other, tonally), and is only added to your original tone, not to the delays themselves.

As such, I'm gonna be returning it to GuitarGuitar on Thursday afternoon, unless someone wants to buy it from me for a little less than I paid? It was already just £193 from GG, seems a little cheaper than elsewhere.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Doog wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:37 amI'm gonna be returning it to GuitarGuitar on Thursday afternoon
Did you do an demo?
Personal pronouns he/him
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I will be, time-willing! Likely something quite simple, and maybe comparing it to my current preferred candidates (Digitech Obscura and DOD Rubberneck)
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Thanks for the “review” Doog, it confirms what I’ve read elsewhere. Had already come to the conclusion that I’d only get the 202 but the size is a no go on my board at the moment.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

It is a really nice delay for more sparkly/ambient stuff, but I'd 100% trade the Reverb knob for a Saturation control to make it suit more applications.

As it stands, it probably sounds like a Space Echo fresh from the factory in '74!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Lol, fuck GuitarGuitar. 35 minutes to get my refund processed as apparently they were too busy and understaffed... with 3-4 staff, and about 3-4 customers at any one time? It take a lot to get my back up, but after 20mins of browsing at their request, and then seeing this guy do next-to-fuck-all for 10mins, I lost my cool a bit.

It happens, people forget stuff, work sucks; I know. And sure, a shop's gotta priortise SALES over ANTI-SALES but *fart noise*. Every interaction I've ever had there has been pushy or half-arsed; sworn off that place now.

#karen
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

If makes you feel better, Taschen books overcharged us $1440.00 and caused us to incurred $60.00 in overdraft fees, AND THEN LAUGHED ABOUT IT!

They didn’t really laugh, but their paltry gift card might as well been a snicker.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Just to turn those frowns upside down, I had a super positive experience with GAK recently. Helpful, responsive and even took the item off sale for a few hours while I made up my mind.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

SHUT UP NICK LET US RAGE

GAK is pretty good; I know a few guys who’ve worked there and they’re good people
NickS

Post by NickS »

plopswagon wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:31 pm If makes you feel better, Taschen books overcharged us $1440.00 and caused us to incurred $60.00 in overdraft fees, AND THEN LAUGHED ABOUT IT!

They didn’t really laugh, but their paltry gift card might as well been a snicker.
Didn't they pay the overdraft fee they caused you to incur? This is the kind of thing where the Direct Debit system in the UK ensures that you get completely compensated and mentioning to a company that they've violated the terms of the Direct Debit agreement can cause them to jump to fix things.
Personal pronouns he/him
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

It amazes me how little those mechanisms are used though Nick, even in the uk.

In the last two years or so I've had to return faulty goods to three different shops. In one, they gave me a refund more or less straight away (a pawnshop, possibly more aware of their obligations etc). The other two were Game and CEX.

At Game the guy told me that he could only do store credit as this was company policy and pointed to a poster on the counter. I explained that his company's policy didn't trump consumer law and that I was entitled to and would be getting a refund. He immediately said "yeah, I'm out of my depth here, I'll get a manager." Manager had overheard our conversation and refunded.

In CEX I was told that there was no way they could refund in any circumstances, again offering credit. Then after a while, said they could refund, but only if I set up an account with them, give them my email address etc. I said this wasn't true and that they were going to give me a refund. They then suggested that this was an issue of process rather than policy, that he had no mechanism to process it without setting up an account for me. I told him wasn't my problem and that I didn't need to help CEX meet their obligations under law and explained again that they were going to give me a refund, regardless of how he thought this works. I even explained to them that regardless of what happens in the store, my card company would refund me and charge it back to them, so there was no way I wasn't getting my money back, but that surely it would be easier for them to simply refund at this point? Eventually the manager "worked out" a way to do it without setting an account for me.

I realise that in all of this, I sound like a bit of a dickhead, but it annoys me the thought of all the people who get ripped off by this. Like, in banking, this was cracked down on, you can't mislead (or even advise) customers to anything like this degree. Customer facing staff should know and be able to explain accurately to customers what their rights are. It shouldn't be up to the customer to be a bit of a bell-end (like me) in order for them to be protected. You shouldn't need to be literate in consumer law, different card protection schemes, or direct debit guarantees.

In my case, the total value of all of these goods would have been between £100 and £200. So not huge sums. But still, I'm sure there are people being fleeced who could really fucking do with that cash back where it belongs.
Last edited by Bacchus on Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickD

Post by NickD »

I’ve had a couple of similar experiences, one from Debenhams who eventually said they’d refund as a good will gesture even though it wasn’t their policy - I pointed out that their policy was breaking the law.

Again, probably makes me sound like a bit of a dickhead, but as Paul points out, the industry I’m in wouldn’t get away with any of that. If our policies didn’t align with regulation we’d (quite rightly) get taken to the cleaners.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Taschen has refunded the $1440.00 in overcharges, but not the overdraft fees. But then they sent an email that said they couldn’t fulfill the order because the “authorization has expired” and we need to send them more money despite the fact that charge went through.

I suspect it was an automatically generated email and the breakdown in the card processing system was due to difficulty with authorization but still.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.