Nick's perfect Tele?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

NickD

Nick's perfect Tele?

Post by NickD »

I'm unlikely to start it that quickly, but I'm after a few ideas for a Tele project.

What I'm after:
  • Most likely a Thinline. I've hankered after a nice one for years

It needs to sound at least a bit like a Tele, so Tele bridge pickup

I'd like a humbucker at the neck, probably a wide range, but I'd be happy with a PAF style too.

The neck needs to be fairly chunky - my favourite neck is on my 59RI LP and that is approx 0.8 if an inch deep at the nut, and an inch at the 12th.

I'd like it to have something that at least looks like a vintage bridge - I prefer that aesthetic - but it needs to intonate fairly well.

I don't have the skills to build a body (esp Thinline) but I can paint well enough and drill holes etc.
Any ideas on what/where to source the parts? I haven't built a guitar in 7 years or so, so I'm a bit out of the loop.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I got my Jazzmaster body from Guitarbuild.co.uk, they have got a thinline Tele body and you can specify what routing you want. My body was really good, nicely finished/sanded and I didn't need to make any adjustments to it prior to painting. It had a couple of splinters on the back where they drilled the neck pocket holes, but they are covered by the neck plate. However, euan got a Tele body from them and he was not pleased - the routes were all wrong. They have a good reputation and aren't the cheapest so you'd hope that was an exception. Not got any experience with their necks.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Sounds like you want a Squier 51 neck. Nice and clubby. Don't know if you can still get them cheap, though.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Bacchus wrote:Sounds like you want a Squier 51 neck. Nice and clubby. Don't know if you can still get them cheap, though.
Have they got a tele heel?

Just had a look on eBay, they don't look all that available, but I'll keep an eye out
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Buy a cheap strat neck and fatten it up by feeding it chili cheese fries.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
paulnb57

Post by paulnb57 »

Guitarbuild for the body, Allaprts for a chunky profile neck, hardware of choice...
Cover me in Chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians
paul_

Post by paul_ »

'52RI spec necks are thick and boaty in a fairly old-school fashion, and AllParts make a "52 Fat Neck". Fender call it the "early 50s U-shape" profile and sell it on a Vintera neck (formerly an MIM Classic '50s Tele neck) and used the same profile on the AVRI '52. One-piece maple (i.e. maple fingerboard only) though, and 7.25" radius. I have an AllParts '62 style neck on my main Tele that's so nice I bought it twice even though I didn't have a specific use for the 2nd one at the time.

I'd get the style of intonated 3-saddle bridge that uses slanted saddles rather than the kind that has the saddles with ridges milled in the top... though opinion is divided as to which looks more "vintage," I find that a slanted version of the old saddles looks like less of a departure than something covered in allen screws and Wilkinson logos.

The slanted ones are commonly called "Joe Barden style" but there's countless knock-offs now that will probably be a lot more reasonably priced.

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
NickD

Re: Nick's perfect Tele?

Post by NickD »

Likely candidates for the body and neck here

http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?m ... cts_id=603

http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?m ... cts_id=149

I'll likely buy in a couple of months, if they still have stock so I can paint pretty much straight away. Far too cold and damp at the moment.

Undecided on colour as yet.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

NickD, nearly a year ago wrote:I'm unlikely to start it that quick...

sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

^coffincaster joke?
NickD

Post by NickD »

Doog wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:15 pm
NickD, nearly a year ago wrote:I'm unlikely to start it that quick...

Well, I wasn't lying.

I never underestimate my ability to procrastinate.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nick wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:37 am ^coffincaster joke?
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit