Kurdt's Jaguar...

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Everyone knows PaulK1 did the neck on Kurt's jag. Part of his pre "blocks" phase.
Doug

Is it the Jenner Jag, the Cobain Jag, or the Jenner-Cobain Jag?

Post by Doug »

paul_ wrote: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:28 pm ..no word on whether it was Jenner, just a video from over a decade prior... Maybe the neck broke on Jenner, he ditched the guitar, some guy on the west coast made/had a neck made for it...and sold it to some junkshop as a true Frankenstein with no vintage collectability whatsoever...and then in walked Kurt with a DGC equipment budget and a thing for Sonic Youth/Dino Jr guitars.

Hey, Paul and music friends,

The best info I could find in Jan. 2022 may be incomplete but one of you will be able add more info or correct what I've learned.

Martin Jenner...master guitarist, studio musician, and guitarist for The Everly Brothers, Cliff Richard and many others...seems to have had other skills, or vision. By 2021, many guitar experts had examined enough evidence to say it is probably true (but not 100% verified) that some time in roughly the 1980s Mr. Jenner came up with unique modifications for his Fender Jaguar...or someone else did between Jenner's ownership and Cobain"s.

The photo below is accepted by most as Kurt Cobain's Jag. See the three chrome knobs on the chrome plate, bottom right? All Jaguars come with just two black knobs. But Kurt found this one used. With three chrome knobs. Whether Mr. Jenner did the work or a luthier did it for him, I have seen the video footage proving this is his modified Jaguar. Later the Jenner-modified guitar found its way to Kurt Cobain. Since Kurt's death the Jenner-modified Jag has been known as the Kurt Cobain Jag, and has been re-issued by Fender under Kurt's name.

I believe if Kurt knew Martin Jenner, Kurt would not want "Kurt Cobain" on this reissue. Don't you think he'd want Martin Jenner's name on it? So, let's ask Fender to re-name it. Or at least to make it the "Martin Jenner-Kurt Cobain Jag".

image.png

I just signed the petition "Fender: Please Change the Kurt Cobain Jaguar to the Martin Jenner Jaguar!" and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name. You can read more and sign the petition here:

http://chng.it/jkd4ppTD4G

Thanks!

Doug
Doug
Mike
I like EL34s

Re: Kurdt's Jaguar...

Post by Mike »

oh boy
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

lol, good luck with that
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

hey doug, i appreciate the integrity behind what you're after, but fender isn't slapping teh kurdtz on the guitar for anything other than name recognition to drive sales. i don't even think anyone involved with his estate anymore would be interested in setting that record straight (assuming it's currently wrong). now, if martin jenner brought some legal action and demonstrated damages, that might be something, though my guess is the best he could hope for is a payout... and that is a very long shot.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

It should just be a called Fender Jaguar because they made it first before Jenner or Kurt had it

I’m being obtuse of course

As obtuse as someone who doesn’t recognise the person that guitar is more frequently associated with
paul_

Post by paul_ »

lol @ “Kurt wasn’t responsible for the modifications,” like we thought it was him who dropped double DiMarzio metalbuckerz in it.

Kurt may have bought the guitar directly from Jenner, as he responded to a “ask for Marty” classified ad for it out of the LA Recycler. Anyway, I don’t think it should say Martin Jenner on it and that petition is a massive headscratcher.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
NickD

Post by NickD »

By that rationale, if I sold my Jazzmaster to, say, Dave Grohl and it became inextricably linked with him, the Fender version would have to be the NickD Jazzmaster. That makes no sense at all. I'll take the royalties though.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Have Low paid Aen yet?
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

paul_ wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:43 pm Have everyone paid Queen yet?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

LargeRapidFalcon-size_restricted.gif
LargeRapidFalcon-size_restricted.gif (641.75 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

In an internet full of stupid ideas and opinions (and petitions) this one is riiight up there 😂
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

plopswagon wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:28 am
paul_ wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:43 pm Have everyone paid Queen yet?
:lol:
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I think all the legendary guitars were modded/built by someone else and not by the players who ended up famous with the guitars
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

it does stand to reason that overwhelmingly the instruments are made famous by the household names who played them not the underpaid techs and artists who built or modified them.

here's a thought for Jenner...

1. Start new guitar company
2. Put "Jenner" decal on headstocks
3. ???
4. Profit?

i bet he could even get away with the SEATTLE model (*wink*) to ride kurdtz's coattails a couple times around the block.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Martin Jenner died in 2003 and isn’t behind this petition. Whoever started it does not appear to be aware of this and has even mentioned, without a shred of irony, that they’ve gotten Courtney Love’s permission to start the petition (Courtney sold about half of her inherited stake in Cobain/Nirvana to Primary Wave Publishing in 2006, who are probably behind all the high-profile licensing deals in the time since).
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

so he won't be starting a guitar company?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

not in this timeline
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I still hold out hope.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I’ll do it. No Jags, though. You can have a P90 SG or you can play [Hank Hill wince voice] bass.