Best Cheap Tuners for Squier Affinity

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Best Cheap Tuners for Squier Affinity

Post by Bacchus »

As well as fixing guitars in my school, I also fix guitars in a few friends' schools (yep, all my friends are also now music teachers....)

A common thing that needs replacing is machine heads. Can anyone recommend cheap, 6 in a line tuners that are likely to fit, or at least fit with a minimum amount of modification?

Annoyingly, I can find Gear4Music selling 3x3 tuners for about £11, but their cheapest 6 in a line tuners are locking ones for £20. It like to get this cheaper, and I'd like the replacement parts to be as easy to use as possible (it's very likely that none guitarists will end up restringing these instruments down the line).
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Re: Best Cheap Tuners for Squier Affinity

Post by Bacchus »

This might be a winner.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Also, nuts for pots and jacks are nearly always going to be M8 on budget guitars, yeah? Might buy a big bag of them.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Bacchus wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:59 am Also, nuts for pots and jacks are nearly always going to be M8 on budget guitars, yeah? Might buy a big bag of them.
Quality of nuts can be variable, I've found. I have a bag of cheap nuts and some fit better than others.
Personal pronouns he/him
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I suppose with that variability it's a matter of matching nuts to shafts, as it were. Probably not as much of an issue if you have 20 guitars with three knobs each, and they'll all need replacing at some point. You'll find somewhere for all of them, I suspect.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Bacchus wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:37 pm I suppose with that variability it's a matter of matching nuts to shafts, as it were.
Sounds a bit like tonight's "Pointless" - "We're going to show you six Johnsons" said with a perfectly straight face.
Personal pronouns he/him