Opinions Sought: Epiphone SG

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

kingkiller wrote:
dots wrote:hug me bag
That’s what the Deluxe models are for
:lol:
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
NickD

Post by NickD »

sunshiner wrote:SGs and similar "long neck" guitars do feel flimsy. To me people who can pull off rocking SGs are either pedants who carry a towel in the case to clean the guitar after playing and who can take a really good care of the instrument, or bashers who would abuse it, yet it would work no matter what and would't die. Someone like myself would put it in the case, get a nightmare in the middle of the night, wake up, run to open the case and it would be broken in 10 different places
I sold one of my friends a 90s Epi SG and he gigs regularly with it, and has done for probably 7-8 years now. It’s been knocked off the stand by drunk punters half a dozen times and has hit the ceiling knock first and been dropped. Somehow the neck has never broken.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Conversely, I watched some local band playing some local gig years back, and the guitarist's Epiphone SG headstock fell off during a song. He was most surprised.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

That's a weak spot on Gibson style guitars - once the headstock falls off, the tone escapes through the break and you can make no music. The solution would be to catch the tone, put it back inside the guitar and then glue the headstock back
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

NickD wrote:
sunshiner wrote:SGs and similar "long neck" guitars do feel flimsy. To me people who can pull off rocking SGs are either pedants who carry a towel in the case to clean the guitar after playing and who can take a really good care of the instrument, or bashers who would abuse it, yet it would work no matter what and would't die. Someone like myself would put it in the case, get a nightmare in the middle of the night, wake up, run to open the case and it would be broken in 10 different places
I sold one of my friends a 90s Epi SG and he gigs regularly with it, and has done for probably 7-8 years now. It’s been knocked off the stand by drunk punters half a dozen times and has hit the ceiling knock first and been dropped. Somehow the neck has never broken.
I knew a guy who played a really nice all white two pickup Gibson Les Paul Custom in bars and restaurants. He said that half the time he would leave his gear unattended for a minute or two there would be some drunkard holding his guitar. He was looking for the cheapest Les Paul knock off at the time to use as a substitute
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.