PRETTY UGLY

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

paul_

Post by paul_ »

dots wrote:There's more color to life than pastels.
You don't win friends with salad.

Big poo brown SG fan here

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dub

Post by dub »

Whose guitar was this? liked it so much I saved the picture.

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I'm still a fan of this '70s coffee table too

paul_ wrote:Big poo brown energy
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Maybe it's an age thing? Was born in poo-brown guitar era, and love poo-brown guitars. Have had a Deluxe like the above (it was AWFUL), an SG, and this Mustang I traded a Vibrochamp to Reece for (which was so heavy it generated its own gravitational pull - Reece did warn me).

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Yeah, I love that Mustang. How does it feel to be wrong, Rob?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

it's wood, ffs!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Doog wrote:I'm still a fan of this '70s coffee table too

+1

it's like a snickers in guitar form
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Ooof, aye you're right. I was thinking less 70s coffee table, more dingy 80s pub.

But snickers it is.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I like that the name of this thread can read as finding beauty in what is considered not beautiful, pretty ugly, a non-dualistic view of esthetics.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Mike wrote:
Doog wrote:I'm still a fan of this '70s coffee table too

+1

it's like a snickers in guitar form
That is lovely. I had a lawsuit version of that in the same mocha colour. Wasn't anywhere near as good to play as my (Mike's) black Mexican one though.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

paul_ wrote:
dots wrote:There's more color to life than pastels.
You don't win friends with salad.

Big poo brown SG fan here

Absolute beauties. What are the necks like on them?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
astro

Post by astro »

benecol wrote:Maybe it's an age thing? Was born in poo-brown guitar era, and love poo-brown guitars. Have had a Deluxe like the above (it was AWFUL), an SG, and this Mustang I traded a Vibrochamp to Reece for (which was so heavy it generated its own gravitational pull - Reece did warn me).

I used to own that lovely poo-stang! I sold it to Reece many moons ago. It sounded great, but I could not get on with the 7.25� radius otherwise I would have kept it.

Here’s another pic with my mediocre 69 RI that I got rid of due to it being meh. My cat Mephistopheles (RIP) was a fan of poo-brown mustangs as well, he had good taste in guitars that little furry fellow.

benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Oh lush to see, and a great cat name x
paul_

Post by paul_ »

sunshiner wrote:What are the necks like on them?
The '67 Melody Maker has a proper fat Gibbo neck in the old-school fashion; boaty all the way up and down.
The '72 SG-II has a very typical Norlin-ish maple neck that is not pitched back, super narrow at the nut and generally sort of round-but-small feeling. It's actually the next closest thing I have to the Jag-Stang neck.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Melody Maker necks seem to be all over the map. Late 50s are "59 Les Paul fat and round", but then the 60s necks are everything from tiny to fat again. Mid to late 60s have to be the smallest ones as far as I understand it but yours is a fat one.

I haven't played a Jagstang but Affinity strat and tele necks are usually the way you describe it - round but smallish with a narrow nut. The old ones which were made in China are more so than the ones made in Indonesia. My affinity strat is an odd ball with a wider nut but still small and round in shape.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

And how do you like the pickups on the MM? Humbucker loving bl00z lawyers have always been bitching about the thin ones but I've always liked the sound of Melody Makers. I have a thin pup from a mid 60s model collecting dust somewhere, I should probably find and drop it in my strat some day
paul_

Post by paul_ »

sunshiner wrote:And how do you like the pickups on the MM? Humbucker loving bl00z lawyers have always been bitching about the thin ones but I've always liked the sound of Melody Makers. I have a thin pup from a mid 60s model collecting dust somewhere, I should probably find and drop it in my strat some day
They're ok. They're average sounding single coil pickups to my 1996-onwards guitarist ears and I wouldn't say they suffer any crazy vintage peculiarities. If I'd gotten the guitar 10 years earlier I would've ripped them out for hotrails or Lace Sensors for sure but I'm kind of committed to the 1967 specs on this mojomachine, I actually restored it back to having strip Klusons (now with conversion bushings) a lightning bar (now with TonePros locking studs) and a Maestro (utterly useless MIJ reissue unit) after it showed up with poorly-fitted Schallers and a knackered BadAss.
The lack of buckers doesn't bother me because when you turn the tone knob down on any bridge pickup and are running through something like a classic Marshall crunch sound it sounds a bit like a humbucker anyway... so the fact that I can't do an womantoan or brownsondz on it isn't a huge issue.

The Jag-Stang nut is much narrower than an Affinity Strat or Tele from any era, it's 1.575" (40mm) at the nut which is close enough to the vintage "A width" option that I consider it a metric conversion of that. The SG-II has a 1.5" (38.1mm) nut width, actually a bit narrower than the JS nut and what Fender's vintage A-width actually was. The Jag-Stang is only negligibly wider, they feel the same width to my small hands and it's a difference of less than 2mm overall.
The narrowest Affinity nuts on a Strat or Tele were 1.598" (40.6mm)
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

paul_ wrote:The Jag-Stang nut is much narrower than an Affinity Strat or Tele from any era, it's 1.575" (40mm) at the nut
dang, that is narrow. i went with "vintage" width on the comp stang which to warmoth is 1.625".
paul_

Post by paul_ »

1.625 is 1 5/8, the standard Fender nut width (designated B-width during the period in question). I imagine Warmoth call it vintage as a means to just evoke classic Fender spec, because plenty of people might want a suped-up Strat with a classic-yet-unFendery 1 11/16� or whatever when they’re doing an Warmoth.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

My new supersonic is 40mm at the nut. Jagstang neck does not feel that small. Like at all.

Supersonic neck is like A neck mustang size. Jagstang is somewhere between the supersonic neck and MG69 neck.
dots wrote:incesticide