Telecaster / Stratocaster recommendations (got one! Page 9)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Mike wrote:I really hope it not misremembering that but I remember for sure they were an incredible deal and very shortly after that they sold out and then came back much pricier which could even have been within the calendar year
Nah, you're right. Prices were crazy cheap. My Baja was £200 secondhand in like new condition with a limited blonde finish.

The same thing happened with the American Special Series they were only £499 then the next year at £599 after that again for £850.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I've told this story before, but I will always remember not buying one with the first pay packet of a Summer call centre job I had as a student because I wanted to be sensible. I think it was £330. Thereabouts.

Keep in mind that in 2008, you could get an Highway-1 Strat for £599.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

They never made a left handed Baja, so cry me a river
euan
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

You're correct. They were 100% perfect. Every single one.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Mike wrote:I’m really overthinking this and wondering if I could even justify anything anyway

Like I don’t need anything and it really seems borderline offensive really when I analyse it deeply

FML
You're overthinking this an overintellectualising this in order to give yourself a reason to be hard on yourself.

Nice people deserve nice things, and you should take steps to see that nice people get nice things. Sometimes you have to accept that that means you have to get yourself the guitar you want. It would be immoral not to.

I also think that with the fortieth coming up, a Baja is what you should get. That was your best guitar. I think Baja Tele and JVM410 is the Mike setup. I know you've lost your way and have been arsing about playing Fenders amps lately. Put this right.

http://www.ampmaker.com/shop/p1800-18w ... amplifier/
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

I'm telling you man, esquire only got one pickup,. It's like the closest you gonna get to not buying a guitar
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

That is some solid logic from Rob to be honest
euan
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Bacchus wrote:
I also think that with the fortieth coming up, a Baja is what you should get. That was your best guitar. I think Baja Tele and JVM410 is the Mike setup. I know you've lost your way and have been arsing about playing Fenders amps lately. Put this right.

Well the JVM was great but to be honest I always battled with the fact it wasn't as good the 6100 I had since I was a teenager. I was lucky enough back then that when I'd saved up for a Marshall 8080 Valvestate second hand my Dad lent me the same amount of money again and pointed me in the direction of the 6100 in freeads. He didn't/doesn't know much about amps other than valves = good. I was just lucky that for £300 I ended up with the only Marshall I'll ever need

I've had the JVM and a 50W 80s JCM800, as much as people would say it's mad - I think the 6100 is the best of them all

But you could be onto something, that Marshall Telecaster setup was glorious.

Maybe the whole Jaguar Fender amp thing was the real midlife crisis.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Oh and I'd love to build my own amp someday so that's a really solid shout - looks like that site is all sold out though :-/

Funnily enough even though I am mainly a bridge pickup user, I don't reckon I could ever go without the option of the neck pickup in any guitar - there is some magic there you can't get in the bridge.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I've been keeping an eye on that kit for years. If we ever manage to finish paying off the landlord's mortgage and start saving towards our own place, that's on the list of things to do. Not really enough room here for me to set aside a work bench for six months or however long it would take.
NickD

Post by NickD »

I had to buy one ready made because I’d be guaranteed to electrocute myself building anything like that, but an 18 watt Marshall is the best amp ever IMO. Just make sure it has a master volume or build an attenuator, they are stupid loud.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Second hand Baja Telecasters go for like £600-£750.

What hellscape is this?

I could never justify spending nearly 3x the amount for a guitar I've already owned and sold. I don't own Gamestop stock FFS
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Bacchus wrote:
Mike wrote:I’m really overthinking this and wondering if I could even justify anything anyway

Like I don’t need anything and it really seems borderline offensive really when I analyse it deeply

FML
You're overthinking this an overintellectualising this in order to give yourself a reason to be hard on yourself.

Nice people deserve nice things, and you should take steps to see that nice people get nice things. Sometimes you have to accept that that means you have to get yourself the guitar you want. It would be immoral not to.

I have to say the same, the Baja into a Marshall is what I associate with Mike and I thought it suited his playing as well. Was surprised when he moved onto other stuff, although we’ve all done it.

If, it is a Strat itch, that 60’s CV Squier I bought ticks all the boxes. Might be worth double checking the radius on them though, they aren’t flat but they aren’t vintage correct either.
lorez

Post by lorez »

been looking at the fender vintera road worn guitars recently. you seem to get a lot for you money. nitro finish, vintage v shape 7.25" radius neck and upgraded pickups.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Mike wrote:Second hand Baja Telecasters go for like £600-£750.
I agree that's sickening. But, that's the guitar you want, that's how much they cost, and you have a reason to treat yourself to it. Don't fuck about doing half measures.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Just don't fuck it all up like freddy did and buy a wood colored one after we throw 20 different things at you
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Hey now, I learned my lesson and sold it after like 6 months!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Freddy V-C wrote:Hey now, I learned my lesson and sold it after like 6 months!
You already sold it??? Hahahah fuck yeah!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

I'm upset you didn't give me first dibs no I'm not
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

lorez wrote:been looking at the fender vintera road worn guitars recently. you seem to get a lot for you money. nitro finish, vintage v shape 7.25" radius neck and upgraded pickups.
If you can get an original roadworn (mid 2000s I think), then you’re winning. I played a 59s roadworn tele in a shop at the time, and I’ve always wished I’d bought it. Best guitar I’ve ever played. I’ve heard people speak in similar regards for the strats of this period too.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band