Strymon Iridium

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Still no joy with this, have tried everything I can think of so returning it for a replacement pedal. Will see if it's the same with the next one - should arrive tomorrow.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Thom, do you have any power plug networking in the house?
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

NickS wrote:Thom, do you have any power plug networking in the house?
Good ask, but no I don’t.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Ok, so to draw a line under this... New pedal arrived, and it's a bit quieter than the first one, but there's still a really annoying high pitched buzz when the Cab/Mic side is bypassed and going directly out to headphones. I guess you wouldn't want to run it bypassed anyway, but even so it's annoying. It's marginally better through my earpods but that's probably just because they are not giving as much sonic detail. To summarise:

- Direct out to headphones is not great, high pitched noise when bypassed, and a bit too noisy when the drive or master is up above 12. Not unusable, but a bit annoying.
- Through my Interface and out through desk speakers it's dead quiet and sounds really really good.
- Drive pedals into it sounds great.
- Out straight to an amp rather than the interface also sounds really good. Could be a handy gigging tool if you were running through a neutral power amp, something like the Orange Pedal Baby.

I bought it as a recording tool and for that I think it does a great job, so am going to keep it. It's a bit of a shame it's not a great quiet practice option, but for me that's not a deal-breaker.

Sorry to hog your thread GreenKnee!
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Thanks for all the information thom - really appreciate it!

I think I’ll give it a miss for now - £100 bones is a lot for something that seems isn’t really geared towards what I’m after. I may try to build a small headphone amplifier to see how that performs.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

No worries mate. Do a thread on the headphone amp build if you do it!
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

Thom wrote:Sorry to hog your thread GreenKnee!
Honestly not a problem, I'd actually recommended the Nux to a couple of friends looking for an Iridium type thing that wouldn't break the bank, and I've been updating them on your thoughts