Cheap demo of Muff copies

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Fakir Mustache

Cheap demo of Muff copies

Post by Fakir Mustache »

[video width=400 height=350][/video]Azor and Eno fuzzes, TC Electronic Honey Pot Fuzz, Behringer VD1, with bonus MXR Fullbore Metal used as fuzz at the end.

First two pedals look like this.

Used the guitar from my avatar, bridge position.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

TC Electronic was the best to me
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

It's not bad, but I prefer it with a bit of amp dirt, not clean like in the demo.

I think I like the Azor the most. The Eno is not bad either, the eq kind of sounds like a bandpass filter (not saying that's good or bad).
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I've read Eno muff was described by someone as greenmuff esque, but from this demo I can't get that. Seems too be spitty and wooly not in a good way with no definition, but that could be the way the sound was picked in the video. Is it better in person?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

sunshiner wrote:I've read Eno muff was described by someone as greenmuff esque, but from this demo I can't get that. Seems too be spitty and wooly not in a good way with no definition, but that could be the way the sound was picked in the video. Is it better in person?
One thing I'll say on this is that the VD-1 is a notorious treble-sucker when bypassed and could be colouring the resulting sound of the other pedals here while it's in a chain with them.

I think I liked the Azor best fuzzbox-wise, and the TC best just in general dirtbox tones... I bet it does sound more similar to the others over a bit of amp dirt the way Fakir prefers it.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

sunshiner wrote:I've read Eno muff was described by someone as greenmuff esque, but from this demo I can't get that. Seems too be spitty and wooly not in a good way with no definition, but that could be the way the sound was picked in the video. Is it better in person?
Maybe a little like a Sovtek Muff, but the eq is different. And yes, kind of wooly, I don't think I even had the fuzz knob all the way up because it was too much with a humbucker, although it's crankable with single coils.

Actually I built a Sovtek clone but it's kind of busted now, the Azor did sound more like it.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

paul_ wrote:One thing I'll say on this is that the VD-1 is a notorious treble-sucker when bypassed and could be colouring the resulting sound of the other pedals here while it's in a chain with them.
That's interesting, I was getting these very weird artifacts on bypass with my Micro Terror (not what I used in the demo), so much so that I thought it was busted and tried a different cab and valve, and still getting them.

I don't know if it was just with the Micro Terror, or if it was a combination of pedals (I believe only the two mini pedals are true bypass) because I don't have the Behringer anymore. I may have kept it if it wasn't so big, but I also had too many Muff style pedals. I'm definitely keeping the other three.