Inlays?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

luke

Inlays?

Post by luke »

So, not long before I get myself that Serviceman Jag with the missing inlay. I'm having trouble locating mother of pearl inlays as it is, but one thing I've noticed is that all the inlays are too small as it is:

That's the Serviceman, here's the real thing:

It makes sense to me to just replace all of them, and make them slightly larger.

Of all the changes I have planned (new hardware, new wiring, new pickguard, new bridge), this is the only one I don't really have a clue about. Obviously I understand you cut the inlays to fit and then glue them into the fretboard, but I mean how do you go about pulling out old inlays? How deep do you cut (I guess the fact one's missing might help), and is it as simple as just sanding them flat to the curve of the fretboard? Which tools are needed?

I know there are some luthiers amongst us, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and if anyone in the UK knows where I can get some mother of pearl blanks, please mention.
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

for one, this is gonna be a TON of work, and it may not be worth it. Personally, I'd get this and simply replace the one missing inlay, then cut to fit, glue and sand. Otherwise, you're talking pulling frets, removing all the old inlays, recutting the fretboard, cutting all the new inlays, installing, leveling the fretboard (with god only knows what radius sanding block) and refretting with the binding in place.

that's exhausting just thinking about it.
luke

Post by luke »

Aug wrote:for one, this is gonna be a TON of work, and it may not be worth it. Personally, I'd get this and simply replace the one missing inlay, then cut to fit, glue and sand. Otherwise, you're talking pulling frets, removing all the old inlays, recutting the fretboard, cutting all the new inlays, installing, leveling the fretboard (with god only knows what radius sanding block) and refretting with the binding in place.

that's exhausting just thinking about it.
Wow, didn't realise it'd be so much work..!

Replacing one inlay can't be too hard then, but like I said I'm struggling to locate a seller of pearl inlays...
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Aug wrote:I'd get this
luke

Post by luke »

Awesome, good find Aug. I might have to artificially yellow that stuff up a bit, but a 1"x2" block is perfect. They ship to England, which is nice too! Cheers!
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

See? I can actually be quite helpful from time to time. :lol:
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Aug wrote:See? I can actually be quite helpful from time to time. :lol:
your still a scumbag admin tho!!

:lol:
More Cowbell

Post by More Cowbell »

I AM TOTALLY GONNA ATTEMPT BLOCK INLAYS IN A NECK SOON!!!!!!!!!

I AIN'T SKEERED. 8)

thanks for that link aug. :D
Aug
Best Poster 2010

Post by Aug »

Hurb wrote:
Aug wrote:See? I can actually be quite helpful from time to time. :lol:
your still a scumbag admin tho!!

:lol:
YEAH??? WELL, YOU EAT BOOGERS!!!
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Ice T sure showed you guys!

I had that same inlay picked out. It's like exactly what's required for that. It's too bad they don't offer a greater variety of colors. (I wrote and asked. I may be manic).
Yell Like Hell
tremlock

Post by tremlock »

I never like block inlays before, but they're growing on me more and more everyday
"Icey"its cames when i unleash new skills
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

you can get the block out alil bit easier than ayg said.
if you sand back most of the clear on the top of the neck to point where its bear wood and inlay then all you gotta do is take a wet piece of paper towl,*(not dripping wt) and an iron and start heating away. the glue will loosen with the steam and the inlay will start to pop up.
and actually the clear is alredy gone on the servicemen so just iron the bastard.
and you really are talkign about a lot of work for nothing
and the guard is fine. its actually the best part of the guitar. if you want a reoro you will have to do it yourself or have aug do it. period, it is custom fit to that guitar and that guitar only.
luke

Post by luke »

robert(original) wrote:you can get the block out alil bit easier than ayg said.
if you sand back most of the clear on the top of the neck to point where its bear wood and inlay then all you gotta do is take a wet piece of paper towl,*(not dripping wt) and an iron and start heating away. the glue will loosen with the steam and the inlay will start to pop up.
and actually the clear is alredy gone on the servicemen so just iron the bastard.
and you really are talkign about a lot of work for nothing
Yeah, thinking about it it does seem like a lot of work.
roberT(original) wrote:and the guard is fine. its actually the best part of the guitar. if you want a reoro you will have to do it yourself or have aug do it. period, it is custom fit to that guitar and that guitar only.
Yeah, I was kinda expecting having to do it myself, seeing as those counterfitters hardly seemed to use a ruler! With all due respect to Aug, I don't think it'll be that hard a job to cut out the pickguard right, but I've seen Aug's first attempt and it does seem like it's something you progressively get better at. I might have to give Aug some dolla' to make it happen, I don't feel like wasting a big blank just to learn how to do it!

Still, I think at the very least I'll be replacing the bridge with a proper rocking Mustang one, and DGNR8 was a dude a threw in some free Jaguar pickups, which will need mounting into the body properly. I've always got some special wiring ideas in mind too, but I'll save that for my Jag project thread, when the guitar arrives. ;)

Cheers for the words of wisdom guys.