Squier CV '70s Jaguar demo and ramble

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Bacchus wrote:
Doog wrote:I'm tempted (presuming it's not a wiring overhaul, my memory is hazy) to switch the rhythm circuit to use the bridge pickup. The idea of switching between two volumes is aces for using something like a very reactive fuzz, and having a slightly less trebley version at the flick of a switch is also appealing...

Thanks for watching, guys x
If both pickups are the same, you could do it without changing anything in the wiring. Just move the actual pickups.
fuck that
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Doog wrote:The idea of switching between two volumes is aces for using something like a very reactive fuzz, and having a slightly less trebley version at the flick of a switch is also appealing...
That's always my octave fuzz special move; have the tone rolled back 2/3 for instant dogwhistle toanz.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

loved that video, love that jaguar. really tempted on those, but don't have any more room on the rack, especially for another offset. but god damn those look nice.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Looks and sounds good, it's funny that Fender and most of the gear companies have delivered what people asked them to do years ago but I feel people in general are so jaded they don't appreciate it.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Sounds miles better than the old CIJ Jaguar I had. Looks incredible too mate, blocks and binding is such a good look. I just wish they made these in 7.25 radius with vintage frets. I got too used to it and anything else on a Fender feels gross.

Edit : Looked at them again and the frets are vintage tall which is sound too, just the radius then :(
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

jcyphe wrote:Looks and sounds good, it's funny that Fender and most of the gear companies have delivered what people asked them to do years ago but I feel people in general are so jaded they don't appreciate it.
I feel like this site and others like it (AHEM) had a big impact on Fender's direction, but I guess by this stage a lot of us already went out and bought the Vintage Modified series (I know I did and love my Squier Jaguar, great to get it in green also) so maybe by this point people have already scratched that itch and people aren't picking them up with such voracity even though these are cool guitars that fill important gaps in the market.

As far as this is concerned, it looks and sounds great Andy, nice work on the demo. Twas funny, informative and sounded top banana.
jc808

Re: Squier CV '70s Jaguar demo and ramble

Post by jc808 »

Doog wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Any dislikes, now that you've had it for a while?
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Mike wrote:
jcyphe wrote:Looks and sounds good, it's funny that Fender and most of the gear companies have delivered what people asked them to do years ago but I feel people in general are so jaded they don't appreciate it.
I feel like this site and others like it (AHEM) had a big impact on Fender's direction, but I guess by this stage a lot of us already went out and bought the Vintage Modified series (I know I did and love my Squier Jaguar, great to get it in green also) so maybe by this point people have already scratched that itch and people aren't picking them up with such voracity even though these are cool guitars that fill important gaps in the market.

As far as this is concerned, it looks and sounds great Andy, nice work on the demo. Twas funny, informative and sounded top banana.
A Squier Jaguar, let alone one with blocks and binding, was one of those things I dreamed about to such an extent that I ended up just picking up the first second hand Japanese Jaguar that came into my field of view. So I never had cause to buy one when they finally arrived.

Even when they did, I ended up getting another Chinese Fender Jazzmaster because it was about £20 more than the Fender (although I'm in the process of replacing those utterly ridiculously bad Fender humbuckers).

I almost wanted to get a Squier Jag (or Bass VI) out of thanks for them finally supplying us, but then I had kids and no longer play guitar (I kid but sort of not really).
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

jc808 wrote:Any dislikes, now that you've had it for a while?
Nothing bad, but a few thoughts:
  • Still need to cut the nut slots a little deeper; in conjunction with the taller frets, it can all feel a lil' less "smooth"
  • Would probably prefer a less overwound bridge pickup as it's less sparkly and more mid-forward, esp compared to the neck. Definitely makes the guitar more suited to rock though, for that reason.
  • With .11s and the bridge taped, I can't quite get the intonation bang-on on some strings, even the saddles cranked all the way back.. although this is a pretty common complaint with heavier strings.
  • It's on the top end of "heavy but just about still comfortable" for me (bony shoulders). Maybe it's WIDE STRAP BOI time.
  • The tuners aren't great. They don't slip or anything (learn to string and stretch properly, kids), but the "action" of 'em doesn't feel great, kinda loose. Might look at replacing these if I can source some half decent boys used from the 'Bay or something.
jc808

Post by jc808 »

Doog wrote:
jc808 wrote:Any dislikes, now that you've had it for a while?
Nothing bad, but a few thoughts:
  • Still need to cut the nut slots a little deeper; in conjunction with the taller frets, it can all feel a lil' less "smooth"
  • Would probably prefer a less overwound bridge pickup as it's less sparkly and more mid-forward, esp compared to the neck. Definitely makes the guitar more suited to rock though, for that reason.
  • With .11s and the bridge taped, I can't quite get the intonation bang-on on some strings, even the saddles cranked all the way back.. although this is a pretty common complaint with heavier strings.
  • It's on the top end of "heavy but just about still comfortable" for me (bony shoulders). Maybe it's WIDE STRAP BOI time.
  • The tuners aren't great. They don't slip or anything (learn to string and stretch properly, kids), but the "action" of 'em doesn't feel great, kinda loose. Might look at replacing these if I can source some half decent boys used from the 'Bay or something.
Appreciate it. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I went to a wider strap in my heaviest guitar last year. Not one of those horrible padded Jerry Garcia monstrosities, just a plain black 3-incher. Man, that extra inch makes a difference (that’s what she said)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

No probs, friendo.

It's a shame that most wide straps are ugly as all shit; I've got a weird old wide Gibson strap (ugly in a more 'patchouli' way) I can try out before I buy one of those honking hernia truss support straps

Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

[quote="Doog"[*]The tuners aren't great. They don't slip or anything (learn to string and stretch properly, kids), but the "action" of 'em doesn't feel great, kinda loose. Might look at replacing these if I can source some half decent boys used from the 'Bay or something.[/list][/quote]

The ones on my Telecaster are the same. Was gonna swap them for some Wilkinsons.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yeah, have been eyeing up the WJ55s or whatever they're called, although I'm not sure it'd be a step up. We'll see.

After already having to remove the tailpiece to bend the collet arms back in on the trem arm last night, I ordered a Staytrem collet and arm. I'd imagine the Squier's metal is a little cheaper than the CIJ equivalent, and didn't fancy anything snapping off on the future.
Last edited by Doog on Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Doog wrote:I ordered a Staytrem collet and arm.
The single best Jazz and Jag mod - I love mine.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Yeah Wilkinson Klusons seem to get mixed reviews. Might just go for Gotohs instead. That's whats on the Jaguar neck, they're solid as fuck.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I had a set of the made in Korea Klusons that were something like $40 and they were shit, the metal was soft and the chrome was pilling. I've never tried vintage style Gotohs, but the cheapest ones that looked like Grover Rotomatics were solid, though it was 10 years ago, maybe something has changed
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

benecol wrote:
Doog wrote:I ordered a Staytrem collet and arm.
The single best Jazz and Jag mod - I love mine.
Looking forward to it; I think the stock one wasn't a fan of this reverb handlin':

Noirie. wrote:Yeah Wilkinson Klusons seem to get mixed reviews. Might just go for Gotohs instead. That's whats on the Jaguar neck, they're solid as fuck.
On the neck you sold me? Nice, ok, that's good to know; there's some £50 Klusons on eBay but, like Sunshiner said, the brand name doesn't mean much if they're still just el cheapo.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

The new pickguards and Staytrem stuff have now all arrived, so I spent my morning off work getting angry at things. Also ordered some Gotohs because what else am I going to do with all this money?

► Show Spoiler
The stock collet was machine-tightened, so I had to stick it in a vice and user a "hammer" (see: 'screwdriver') and wrench to work it free (tilt your head, idgaf)

► Show Spoiler
Lovely.

► Show Spoiler
Papa's Got A Brand New Bag Of Scratchplates. I bought the pizza-y "vintage red tort" one (R) first, but really dislike it, so ordered a 'brown' tort (L), which the geezer assured me would be closer to what I wanted.

Turns out, what I really wanted was the stock one but with more going on in the way of detail. But it'll do for now, will see if my eye adjusts to like it; it looks way better in person. Note, these are Vintage Modified-size, but fit with some/lots of filing, and some of the screws aren't 100% straight now but SHRUG
► Show Spoiler
Stock
► Show Spoiler
New.

Will restring and pose-whammy in the mirror for a few hours tonight to decide if I like how it looks.. not sold atm. SHRUG
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Lol, swapped it back to stock scratchplate. Staytrem is good tho!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I can see what you mean...I think on balance I prefer the original. From what you're saying you might be looking for something more like what I've got on my strat?
Got that from earlpilanz on eBay.