NAD: Peavey Vlassic 30

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

NAD: Peavey Vlassic 30

Post by Nick »

I checked out Facebook marketplace and saw this listed for $50 10 minutes ago. The seller claimed the overdrive channel didn’t work and it was recently retubed so that’s not the issue. He messaged me on the way over that he just tested it again and the distortion channel did work but since he wasn’t confident it would stay working he’d still sell it to me for $50. I didn’t make change on my way over so I paid $60 but still feel kind of bad about it.

It works perfectly fine. Spring reverb works great too. TBH I’m not a big fan of the dirt channel anyway but it seems to be working just fine, all I can think of is maybe a cracked solder joint on the pre/post pots. As long as the normal channel sounds this good I’ll never use the dirt anyway.

I should have bought one of these years ago. Smaller and lighter than my DRRI and at least as loud.
Last edited by Nick on Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Total bargain!
Last edited by Hurb on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Absolute bargain! The Classic 50 I bought a few months ago is a total beast, and the clean channel is crazy good.

Do you think you'll be in a position to crank it any time soon?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Bargain!

I love these.

I remember going to play with one in a guitar shop in Belfast, and I was fucking good at this point. I remember sort of panicking though and getting like, stage fright playing it. Then the guy in the shop came and took the guitar off me and sort of played open chords and stuff to show me what it could do. I remember being furious, but polite. Sort of just saying "aye, naw that sound good alright" as he played the odd barred chord and sowed me that on this model you could also use the distortion to play powerchords too.

I was raging and possibly anxious and stoned.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Freddy V-C wrote:Absolute bargain! The Classic 50 I bought a few months ago is a total beast, and the clean channel is crazy good.

I had it at a pretty loud volume to test it for a bit but the band I play guitar in (The National Physical Fitness Award) is having our first post-COVID practice this Tuesday so I’ll probably test it out in a band setting then.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Am I imaging this, or was the OD channel called Distortion instead?

Also, was the original not called the Classic 30?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Bacchus wrote:Am I imaging this, or was the OD channel called Distortion instead?

The channels aren't labeled from what I can tell, there's just a "channel" button, as well as pre/post controls and a boost switch. Unless the channels are named on the footswitch, which didn't come with the amp.

Vlassic was a noticed typo but I decided to leave it because it's the best tasting Peavey I ever heard.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I always wanted a Classic 30 from that era.

[youtube][/youtube]
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Nick wrote:
Bacchus wrote:Am I imaging this, or was the OD channel called Distortion instead?

The channels aren't labeled from what I can tell, there's just a "channel" button, as well as pre/post controls and a boost switch. Unless the channels are named on the footswitch, which didn't come with the amp.

Vlassic was a noticed typo but I decided to leave it because it's the best tasting Peavey I ever heard.
Peacy Vlassic. This is an unfunny joke now, but give it twenty years, these will be vintage and there will be clones called Peacy Vlassic that will go for about half what we earn in a year.

I'm sure there was some amp where the overdrive was called distortion......

Anyway, still jealous, still wishing you luck with it.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Lame Brand Vlassic 30. I envy you, do want one
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

As much as I like this thing, the harsh highs on cleans are just too much out of the stock speaker at anything over bedroom volumes. I ordered a Cannabis Rex from my friend's shop today, it should be in next week. I've only read good things online from people who swapped it into their classic 30's for the same reason (tamed highs, warmer sound that doesn't break up as early).
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Freddy V-C wrote:Absolute bargain! The Classic 50 I bought a few months ago is a total beast, and the clean channel is crazy good.

I cant imagine living my life not being able to play loud as fuck when ever I wanted during the day
dots wrote:incesticide
NickD

Post by NickD »

robroe wrote:

I cant imagine living my life not being able to play loud as fuck when ever I wanted during the day
Can’t your neighbours hear? I will crank it for 10/20 minutes, but that’s gigging volumes and would be inconsiderate to do for any longer.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

NickD wrote:I will crank it for 10/20 minutes
That'll happen as you get older
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Doog wrote:
NickD wrote:I will crank it for 10/20 minutes
That'll happen as you get older
I’m just hoping cranking it won’t become an issue for me.
Especially with the neighbors hearing it, it seems a bit inconsiderate
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

NickD wrote:
robroe wrote:

Can’t your neighbours hear? I will crank it for 10/20 minutes, but that’s gigging volumes and would be inconsiderate to do for any longer.
Basement that's about 5 feet underground - carpeted, panel walls and drop acoustic tile ceiling. With the staircase doors closed, it's not that loud upstairs let alone outside. With a full band you can hear it in my backyard/driveway. I live in a neighborhood full of 50's ranch houses that are far enough apart.

I still try to keep volumes down a bit after 10 just in case, but this summer people have been setting off fireworks sometimes as late as 11pm so fuck it.