Shortscales and alternate tunings

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

jc808

Shortscales and alternate tunings

Post by jc808 »

I've started messing around with alternate tunings for the first time in my guitar life. Open D at the moment. My Tele seems to be OK with it, but my Duo Sonic sounds like it's out of tune, no matter how carefully I try. It was perfectly intonated for standard pitch, so I'm surprised it's being so uncooperative. Low E especially.

I'm playing 10.5 on the Duo, 10s on the Tele. Do I need to bump up to 11s for the Duo? Or is this a quirk of shortscales, being more sensitive about tunings/intonation?
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

Thicker gauge strings help 100%. I've got a Jaguar tuned to C standard and I have to use 12s for a decent tension. I imagine with a thicker gauge the guitar should intonate just fine
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I used to play my Jagstang in drop B with 10s and it was fine (if a bit floppy on the E). I’d look at the nut in the first instance, and then yeah bigger gauge - but again check the nut allows the right movement for thicker strings.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

You’ll probably have to intonate for the new tuning
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Put elevens on it.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

A fun one that i do is Open D add9 (i THINK). Its basically Drop D, then take the G down a half step to F# and the B down a step to A... So its D-A-D-F#-A-E..... Super fun. You can do a lot of chords and different things while letting the two high strings ring out. I do it on my Duostang with 10-46 and it works pretty well.
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
jc808

Post by jc808 »

Mattsican wrote:A fun one that i do is Open D add9 (i THINK). Its basically Drop D, then take the G down a half step to F# and the B down a step to A... So its D-A-D-F#-A-E..... Super fun. You can do a lot of chords and different things while letting the two high strings ring out. I do it on my Duostang with 10-46 and it works pretty well.
That's open D with the high E left alone. I'll have to try that.

BTW, just to follow up since I posted this thread...I went to 11s on this guitar for the open tuning. I still hate the feeling of thick strings, but at least it sounds more in tune. Thanks for the suggestions!
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I've tried drop D with 10-46 on my Squier VM Mustang and it worked really well.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

11s or 12s depending on the tuning i'd think. i mean, zz top detune their strats w/ 8s, so to each his own on the whole string tension debate.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Thom wrote:I used to play my Jagstang in drop B with 10s and it was fine (if a bit floppy on the E). I’d look at the nut in the first instance, and then yeah bigger gauge - but again check the nut allows the right movement for thicker strings.
Haha, fucking hell. 10s on my Jag-stang feels lovely and floppy at standard.

I have my Jazzblaster in drop B but with the six heavy strings from a seven string set.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Bacchus wrote:Haha, fucking hell. 10s on my Jag-stang feels lovely and floppy at standard.

I have my Jazzblaster in drop B but with the six heavy strings from a seven string set.
haha yeah it was pretty floppy, but it really sounded great!