Case Confusion

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

jc808

Case Confusion

Post by jc808 »

I'd like to find a case for a Mustang. I'd assumed that a Jaguar case would work because of the scale. But all the Jag cases I'm seeing are also listed as fitting a Jazzmaster, so that doesn't make any sense. That would mean a Jag case is too long AND wide for a Mustang?

And then I've read that a Mustang won't fit in a Strat case either? That really doesn't make sense given the scale difference?

Appreciate any info from someone who's tried fitting a few things into a few things. Thanks!
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I had a Vox Tempest that had THE best fitting case for a VM Mustang
jc808

Post by jc808 »

Right! I should've mentioned that I was trying to find something a little more zippy than just a plain black case. Or possibly save a few bucks with something more ubiquitous like a Strat case. Sorry, I left that part out!
Ankhanu

Re: Case Confusion

Post by Ankhanu »

jc808 wrote:I'd like to find a case for a Mustang. I'd assumed that a Jaguar case would work because of the scale. But all the Jag cases I'm seeing are also listed as fitting a Jazzmaster, so that doesn't make any sense. That would mean a Jag case is too long AND wide for a Mustang?
The case is fitted to the body, not the scale length. The neck is supported, with the Jag headstock being closer to the support, and Jazzmasters hanging past a little further.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
jc808

Re: Case Confusion

Post by jc808 »

Ankhanu wrote:
jc808 wrote:I'd like to find a case for a Mustang. I'd assumed that a Jaguar case would work because of the scale. But all the Jag cases I'm seeing are also listed as fitting a Jazzmaster, so that doesn't make any sense. That would mean a Jag case is too long AND wide for a Mustang?
The case is fitted to the body, not the scale length. The neck is supported, with the Jag headstock being closer to the support, and Jazzmasters hanging past a little further.
So a Jag/JM case would work length-wise, just a little roomy in the body compartment?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

The original Mustang cases were amazing.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
jc808

Post by jc808 »

plopswagon wrote:The original Mustang cases were amazing.
I’ve seen a couple different kinds from the mid-60s...the ones with no compartment, and the ones with the diagonal compartment. The latter definitely look rad inside and out.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Yeah the faux silver sharkskin outside and plush orange inside.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Standard after-market cases from the 90s, for strat or tele.

However, my tele copy won't go in the neck pocket of the rectangular case because of the angled headstock (shouldn't be a problem with Fenders). It sits above the cutout for the neck, although you cannot tell from the pic.

Also, my strat body won't fit the case, but I'm not sure how accurate the body width is. Don't ask me to try to put in guitars I don't own.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
jc808

Post by jc808 »

Fakir Mustache wrote:Standard after-market cases from the 90s, for strat or tele.
However, my tele copy won't go in the neck pocket of the rectangular case because of the angled headstock (shouldn't be a problem with Fenders). It sits above the cutout for the neck, although you cannot tell from the pic.

Also, my strat body won't fit the case, but I'm not sure how accurate the body width is. Don't ask me to try to put in guitars I don't own.
Wow! That top one looks just like mine. MIJ ‘65 in Dakota Red

Thanks for posting those pics
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

jc808 wrote:Wow! That top one looks just like mine. MIJ ‘65 in Dakota Red
It's a '66 USA, but with a Squier VM pickguard (long story). I didn't put all of the screws in either, because a few of the holes don't match.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
jc808

Post by jc808 »

Fakir Mustache wrote:
jc808 wrote:Wow! That top one looks just like mine. MIJ ‘65 in Dakota Red
It's a '66 USA, but with a Squier VM pickguard (long story). I didn't put all of the screws in either, because a few of the holes don't match.
Ah, my bad! It’s really nice. The rosewood is perfection!