Incoming synth: Roland HS60 (Juno 106)

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

That is indeed a disappointment, sorry man. You can certainly get the deepmind 6s pretty cheap, probably worth a try.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I returned it....the guy in the keyboard department was a little more helpful and understanding of the situation. I offered to keep it for $600 (the GC employee brought it up as a possible option), but it seemed to be more headache than it was worth having come from another store pretty far away. I was told it would be sent for repair, and I would be called once it comes back to get first dibs. I'm under no obligation to buy it, however, the money has been returned and I'm probably going to keep my eye out for a good deal in the meantime. If nothing turns up I may end up with this keyboard after all.

I'm somewhat lost in the world of synths...I really liked how easy and intuitive the HS60/Juno106 was. Easy to access memory banks, transpose, monophonic mode, etc....all really come in handy. The problem I have with the Deepmind is the menu navigation. It's fine for programming patches and such but actually finding them in a live setting, not so much.
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

I'd be very wary of a Juno-106 these days. Those voice chips can be really iffy. I bought one for around $600 that was supposedly 100% functional about 7 years ago. Unfortunately, one of the voice chips went out and there was something weird with the filter and the sound would distort randomly at times. I was gutted as the 106 had always been one of my goals to acquire since I was first interested in synths as a kid. You just can't find them anymore for less than $1K and I'm not spending that on such as basic synth.

I recently had a lousy experience buying a used synth from GC. Picked up a Korg DW-8000 for $300, which is a reasonable price and I've always loved its analog filter. The photo didn't reflect how it really was and the salesperson I bought it from over the phone (bought it from a location in Michigan) said it was in good shape but just needed a little cleaning. When it showed up, all black keys in the lowest two octaves were broken and bent downwards and one white key was. And the arpeggiator didn't work. I took it to my nearest GC to see if they would offer to make a better deal or offer to fix it or pay to have it fixed. Nope. Just a full refund. Such a shame as it sounded really nice, but I sure wasn't paying to have it repaired on top of what I paid for it. The salesperson in the Flint, MI location flat-out lied about its condition (the shipping container showed no signs of damage and it was thoroughly bubble wrapped.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

plaidbeer wrote:I'd be very wary of a Juno-106 these days. Those voice chips can be really iffy.
+1, the DCOs are starting to go on a lot of them too.
If you're spending a grand or less on a Juno and the seller makes no mention of servicing the voice module, you should either know how to do that or know somebody that does because it's bound to be a bit crackly. People actually hunted HS60s down just to rob them of 80017As to service the 106 for years, so I'm not surprised that many of those will be worse for wear as well.

http://www.analoguerenaissance.com/AR80017A/
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I've kinda put off owning a Juno for a while. Maybe next year, or if one comes up for sale cheap enough to invest in fixing it.

Still, becoming a little tired of the limitations of my RS09, I decided to try my new-to-me Nord Electro 2 at band practice last week. A few songs benefited from it, but overall it was obvious to me I really need a synth for this band and not an organ/piano based rompler.

Yesterday while looking at budget Yamaha FM synths online I remembered I'd always wanted to own a Casio CZ series and preferred them to the Yamahas whenever I've tried one before. I found a CZ-5000 for sale locally for $300- I offered $250 and should be picking it up tomorrow.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Just buy 2 of the new boutique JU-06a ones and poly chain them for 8 voices. It has the 60 and the 106 modes and they sound exactly the same. Cheaper, more reliable and smaller.

It’s not so much that the 106 is fragile, the voice chips on them are just a terrible design. I’d never buy one unless the chips were updated and socketed.

If you’re set on a vintage Roland get the 60 or the JX3P. Or wait until Behringer make a Jupiter8.

[youtube][/youtube]

Fuuuuck iiiit

LANK
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i just watched the video that 1.o sabotaged you on and the pitch is fucked up

like not the sound, they sound the same but the pitch of the notes are off.

the sawtooth on the Juno60 pitch is lower than the 06A

even when hes demo'ing fart noises you can tell
dots wrote:incesticide
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The thing is if you had 2 original Juno 106s they’d sound different to each other too. Probably more different than these do. For me this is close enough. Remember even a fraction of a mom difference on the sliders on a Juno can have a huge effect on the sound. I think this dude did a decent job of dialling it in. The OG one is pretty noisy too.

I love vintage Roland synths but the 106 is on my too much trouble list. Now a 60 at a decent price......