the current state of the surf green mustang bass in 2019

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

the current state of the surf green mustang bass in 2019

Post by robroe »

you got your american performer with classic mustang bass pickup, and jazz pickup 3 knobbies and some kind of bullshit telecaster football jack nonsense for 1200 dollars. keep in mind you are paying extra on this model for a bridge plate that looks like TOTAL. FUCKIN. ASS.

you got your VANTARA dime bag model for 1000 with only a mustang pickup, 2 knobbies, and the jack back where it fucking belongs.

you got your mustang PJ bass with no mustang bass pickups, but with Pbass and Jbass pickup combo for 500 bucks, the bass plate on this one isn't as fugly as the 1200 model but fuck sake its boring.

and finally you got your SQUIER CV mustang bass that is exactly the same as the Pantara model is 350 dollars. proper pickups, proper bassplate, so that sticker on the Pantara model costs you an extra 550 fucking dollars, and this is probably built in Japan instead of Mexico. which is probably a better thing. no one knows because its been delayed 18,000 fucking times already and could be coming from the god damn moon.

so we have a price range of 1,200-350 dollars for the same bass with different pickup options.

i didn't talk about the differences between pearl, white, or parchment pickguards because they should all immediately be thrown in the fucking trash and replaced with tort.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I'm with you --> squier rulez! 8)
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

yeah that bridge plate is shit-ville
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

I have a mighty need for that Squier bass
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

That mustang PJ/Pantera or whatever was just about the most underwhelming instrument I've laid hands on.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i like the mustang pj bass*. the squier bass* is cool, too, tho. i'd prolly be fine with a bronco bass* as i currently has no bass*.

*intentionally pronounced like the fish species of the same name
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

I still want that fucking Mikey Way bass and no one is selling them like a bunch of greedy dicks. It's just that good, no one wants to get rid of it.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

The scumbag sparkle one?

I tried to get my friend Kim to sell hers and she was all DO DICE ROBROE
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

yeah the scumbag sparkle one, shit was nice. especially with the humbucker to beef up the sound so it thumped more like a P-bass
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
NickS

Post by NickS »

The acme of Squire offset basses...
► Show Spoiler
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

daftsupernova wrote:I still want that fucking Mikey Way bass and no one is selling them like a bunch of greedy dicks. It's just that good, no one wants to get rid of it.
like so many other limited things, I kinda scoffed a bit when it was out but the second they took it off the market I suddenly needed one.

I cancelled my preorder for the Squier surf green and bought a $75 Bronco Bass on Facebook marketplace. It's probably all I really need.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Love my scumbag mikey stang
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

turn on your location i just wanna talk
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

If you like your greens a little darker then CME have an exclusive Sherwood Green PJ version:

LANK
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Not surf green (so far, at least) but Fender Japan have got a new range of PJ Mustang basses with vintage style tail pieces:

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I am playing bass in a band now and have just been using my friend's Beatle bass copy. I have been eying that Squier Mustang bass in surf green. However, to Nick's point, I could probably get by with a Bronco bass. I'd definitely drop a cool rail in tho.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

singlepup wrote:I am playing bass in a band now and have just been using my friend's Beatle bass copy. I have been eying that Squier Mustang bass in surf green. However, to Nick's point, I could probably get by with a Bronco bass. I'd definitely drop a cool rail in tho.
I just went the opposite direction and put a low output GFS gold foil in mine, also changed out the knobs.

singlepup

Post by singlepup »

That looks awesome. I definitely prefer the red to the black. The reason I was thinking cool rail or similar is that my Beatle bass has a pair of mini hums. I'm playing in a loud and aggressive 3 piece, so that thick humbucker sound really drives the whole band. If I were doing something more chill (I do some ambient and shoegaze solo work), I could see a low output single coil working well.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Nick wrote:
singlepup wrote:I am playing bass in a band now and have just been using my friend's Beatle bass copy. I have been eying that Squier Mustang bass in surf green. However, to Nick's point, I could probably get by with a Bronco bass. I'd definitely drop a cool rail in tho.
I just went the opposite direction and put a low output GFS gold foil in mine, also changed out the knobs.

I'm glad to see that that pickup getting used.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

For sure, hot and cool rails are popular in these for a reason- I just used what I had in my parts bin and also wanted to keep the solid cover aesthetic.

Seymour Duncan Basslines also makes a quarter pounder intended for the telecaster bass that fits well in these.