pictures of your shortscales

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

BillClay

Re: My first short-scale

Post by BillClay »

GeSe wrote:
I have that same guitar, it's fun! Only problem I have is the tuners, they feel worse than squier affinity ones
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

robroe wrote:Image

i may have posted this years ago buttfuck it
I love that all these years later you kept your jag-stang. How many of us did not?

I did not. I had a Fiesta red one.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Re: My first short-scale

Post by robroe »

BillClay wrote:
GeSe wrote:
I have that same guitar, it's fun! Only problem I have is the tuners, they feel worse than squier affinity ones
i could never get mine to stay in tune UNTIL i tuned it up to F. once I put it in standard F tuning i never had to tune it again.
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

Yep, the tuners might be a worry. Looks like there aren’t any better ones available that don’t require drilling. Or did someone find any?
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

Ok, I took the Duo Sonic apart completely, cleaned it, de-coroded it, fixed a few poor connections (it was not used for over 20 years), and now it.. well, would love to say it rocks, but actually it surfs. It has this somewhat mellow surfy sound when played clean. Whoa, what a surprise. The tuners are doing fine so far, but that might be coincidence as I did the worst stringing job ever. Yep, now it really needs a Bigsby.
BDSAZ

Post by BDSAZ »

first post here (thanks for adding me!). here are my current offsets (though I've had a few others over the years I've sold.. Jazzmaster, Jaguar and Mustang alike). I love the 24" scale - it just feels the most comfortable to me. Lefties as everyone knows are hard to find, and I'm really thrilled with the Jaguar especially. the new Mustang is among the nicest MIJ guitars I've ever played.

2018 FSR Fender Japan Mustang

2002 Fender Japan Jaguar
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

BDSAZ wrote: 2018 FSR Fender Japan Mustang
Do want, even if it's a lefty. Looks amazing
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickS

Post by NickS »

BDSAZ wrote:first post here (thanks for adding me!). here are my current offsets...
Welcome to the madhouse, nice couple of guitars there :)
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

They look lovely BDSAZ.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

sunshiner wrote:
Beauty. As a lefty, I'd love that one for myself.
BDSAZ

Post by BDSAZ »

NickS wrote:
BDSAZ wrote:first post here (thanks for adding me!). here are my current offsets...
Welcome to the madhouse, nice couple of guitars there :)
Thanks!
BDSAZ

Post by BDSAZ »

Thom wrote:
sunshiner wrote:
Beauty. As a lefty, I'd love that one for myself.
thanks! I preordered from UK to USA. had to deal with CITES but it was worth it.. plays great and just killer tone. best stock MIJ pickups I've ever heard.
BDSAZ

Post by BDSAZ »

BearBoy wrote:They look lovely BDSAZ.
thanks!
BDSAZ

Post by BDSAZ »

sunshiner wrote:
thanks! really is an awesome guitar
GusGlen

Post by GusGlen »

Tinypic has withdrawn its 'free image hosting' facility, which is fair enough but it means that my post with pictures of my shortscales became somewhat redundant, so I'm re-posting with the pics now hosted by IMGBB

Once again - here are my Mustangs, presesnted in the order that I bought them.

That's -
  • Harley Benton MS60 (with B*gsby style trem' and Artec P18 "lipstick" pickups, custom headstock decal).

Squier Bullet Mustang (with Vanson "P90" style pickups, custom pearloid pickguard, Wilkinson "half-tele" bridge, custom headstock decal).

Squier VM Mustang (with custom pearloid pickguard, Allparts bridge).
The Harley Benton was my first foray into the wonderful world of short-scales. I really wanted a guitar I could mod to have lipstick pickups and a trem. This one came up very cheaply on ebay, I love the colour and the looks of it. It'd be nicer with a proper chrome control-plate, I'll get round to doing that one day. I'd never owned, or even played a Mustang type guitar before I got this and I was immediately sold on the sound and the feel.

I bought the Squier Bullet for the same reasons everybody else has bought one, they're brilliant little guitars and they're cheap. I paid list price for this one from a shop in London, I'd been eyeing them up for ages but the clincher was when they issued them in Surf Green - my favourite colour.
The supplied humbuckers were perfectly fine but I'm not a big fan of how "open humbuckers" look and also prefer the jangle you get from single coils. I dealt with this by getting the Vanson P90s, they look and sound great. This guitar has received many favourable comments about its sound. I think the brass saddles on the half-tele bridge must contribute to that. I love the look of pearloid against Surf Green so when the funds allowed, I treated it to a custom guard from Earlpilanz .

This Squier VM Mustang came up on Ebay in May of this year. The young man who was selling it had hand-painted the pickguard white (in emulsion paint, horrific!). He'd also attempted to remove some stuff he'd written on it with marker pen, which resulted in damage to the finish where he'd used some kind of solvent.
All of which meant that I got it very cheaply (less than half the standard 2nd hand price for these, less than a third of the RRP for a new one).
I had to source a new tremolo arm and have replaced the supplied bridge with a more traditional style Mustang bridge from Allparts. The supplied bridge was very rattly, I had real trouble adjusting and intonating it but as soon as the new bridge was fitted all problems vanished.
I replaced the hand-painted pickguard with another one from Earlpilanz (indulging my pearloid fetish, as ever). I have put a small shim in the neck too and it is, without doubt, my favourite electric guitar now. I absolutely love it.
If I had the funds I'd consider getting a professional re-spray (in Surf Green). As it is the stickers I've got covering the damage are pretty cool, I can live with it.
I tend to use it exclusively on the neck-pickup setting, really like the tone and definition from the Duncan Designed pickups and the slightly chunky neck is perfect for me.
Here's a picture of it in action -

As mentioned, I'm a very recent convert to the wonders of short scale guitars, have been a Telecaster player all of my life. I am now jones-ing for a Jaguar. Would love to get a Squier VM Jag' (in Surf Green, of course).
Last edited by GusGlen on Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If you know how many guitars you have, you don't have enough" - Ralph McTell
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

^
All those stangs look dope, thumbs up on the mods and improvements!
NickS

Post by NickS »

Nice work, Gus!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

loving all the new shit.

keep it up
DiAmoroso

Post by DiAmoroso »

Decent pic of my set up from this weekend:

uploading pictures