Need an easy instrument to strum on

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Wistasona

Need an easy instrument to strum on

Post by Wistasona »

Hi everybody! I need your recommendations, I guess.

I am in my 70's and need some advice on what stringed instrument to pursue for easy strumming along as I sing folk songs and favorite old singers like Elvis and the Everly Brothers. Strictly for my own enjoyment. I was a very novice 6 string guitar player almost 50 years ago. When I tried both steel and nylon string 6 strings recently I realized I have no muscle memory, have lost strength and flexibility in my fingers.

I started researching 4 strings which then took me to ukuleles so I got overwhelmed quickly. I am starting from scratch and welcome any advice, so:
Tenor 4 string, cigar box, ukulele (if so, which size?)? I even saw a 3 string being played on YouTube. Suggestions?

Easiest to play?

Steel, nylon or steel over nylon?

String notes? Anything where I can get away with mostly only needing to use 2 fingers?

Specific models and brands?

Thanks in advance!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Get a parlour guitar, they're fairly inexpensive, small bodied and shorter scale so easier to play, and they sound great. A secondhand Gretsch Jim Dandy would cost around 80-100.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Not really an answer, just more to get confused about, but have you thought about playing slide guitar?
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Steel string would probably be easier to play once you start to learn a bit more, nylon string guitars tend to have necks that are a little bit wider so fretting becomes a bit more difficult. Best of luck!
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Try tuning something up to open chords instead of standard tuning. Could be a ukulele or even a cigar box guitar. Banjo also seems easy to play with the small necks and light strings
paul_

Post by paul_ »

There are these Loog learner instruments

And while decidedly not a "strummer", there are these "church basses" with 2 strings and 5 frets

As far as regular small/cheap stuff goes, I'm frequently tempted by the $150-$200 lines of Recording King acoustics, which are pretty pawnshoppy parlor guitars (though they also make dreadnought and 000 models)

[youtube][/youtube]
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Buy a telecaster. Play in drop D with a capo

It's what everyone else does to cheat and use 1 finger....you can too!
NickS

Post by NickS »

There's a chap local to me who is "Dan" in the band "Dandy Man" (geddit?) and he uses a 4-string tenor very effectively. It could be cheaper to put only 4 strings on a six-string. Comfort could be a major consideration; nylon will be easiest on the fingers to start with but most nylon-string guitars have a wide flat fretboard and you may find the neck on a steel-string more comfortable. Can you get to a music shop to try?
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

A dulcimer might be right up your alley. Tuned in a chord, fretted so that all positions are in key, and easy to play.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
George

Post by George »

Silk and steel strings are much easier to fret than other steel acoustic sets.

You could also detune whatever instrument you decide on and use a capo so the strings are looser

Open tuning may also be useful to look in to
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Lighter gauge of strings on Affinity Squiers. Their necks are somewhat narrow, if you put 7s or 8s and tune a half step lower you'll be good I think
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

paul_ wrote:
And while decidedly not a "strummer", there are these "church basses" with 2 strings and 5 frets

lol I had to research to make sure that was indeed a fake

http://babylonbee.com/news/fender-intr ... h-bassists
Pearlman actually began testing these designs in churches across the country over the past few months, but no one noticed.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

lol wtf? I thought it was a joke

However there should be three strings. They completely failed and should be anathematized
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Doog wrote:
paul_ wrote:

lol I had to research to make sure that was indeed a fake

http://babylonbee.com/news/fender-intr ... h-bassists
Pearlman actually began testing these designs in churches across the country over the past few months, but no one noticed.
The fret distance is too long for that kind of scale.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Oh damn, I thought it was real because of the alt-rock cross.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

George wrote:Silk and steel strings are much easier to fret than other steel acoustic sets.
seconded, thought to come back to this thread to say this, I use them on my old Stella parlor guitar.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Used those on my Martin for awhile after being converted by a friend til I missed the volume, they're swanky and especially nice for fingerpicking.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

sunshiner wrote:lol wtf? I thought it was a joke
Uh, it is.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

sunshiner wrote:Doog should be anathematized
George

Post by George »

paul_ wrote:Used those on my Martin for awhile after being converted by a friend til I missed the volume, they're swanky and especially nice for fingerpicking.
Very true about volume and something to bear in mind. I instantly get drowned out by other guitars, especially because I fingerpick, but I mainly play on my own or plugged in.