Tortoise shell pickguard on short scale and offset guitars

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Golden-Stang

Tortoise shell pickguard on short scale and offset guitars

Post by Golden-Stang »

I've always been fascinated by this pickguard finish but, man, when I bought my Squier VM Mustang I was so pissed off to find out how awfully bad it was... So cheap, so mozzarella-on-pizza like... I continue to dream a marvellous tort pickguard that I saw on a Fender Jaguar when I started to play: it was so perfect and color-balanced, the little veins so ''liquid'' as if they reflected the light in a similar way of a perloid pickguard. I used the word ''liquid'' because my VM Mustang pickguard seems so fake, like a singed, brown crust of some kind of food. Here in Italy, I could compare the VM tort pickguard to the top of a lasagna. Sorry this absurd food comparisons but I really don't know how to express my impressions well. So I was wondering what kind of tortoise finish we'll have on the new CV offsets. I've found some real photos of the new Squier Jaguar and the pickguard finish seems right and good-looking, or maybe they are the same used on the VM?. I thing that the Classic Players have a similar finish, isn't it?

Below, the old VM Jaguar with the lasagna pickguard

I want to know your opinions. Have a good meal!
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

I know what you mean. I looked at a Squier Jag and thought the pickguard looked like a column in a posh house painted in marble style instead of being from marble. Ok, that guitar wasn't for me (too big body), but still I felt cheated.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Warmoth will make you an awesome looking tort guard for cheap. I've purchased two of them In the last year for guitar builds with great results. Dudes were stoked to get them.

I'll get photo links in a sec
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Left hand guitar is a modded 2018 squier bullet mustang I tore down and rebuilt. The right guitar is a 1995 jagstang.

Pickguard on left is brand new from warmoth, pickguard on right is 48 years old off a 71 musicmaster.

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Broestang. Or Robroesonic?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Golden-Stang

Post by Golden-Stang »

robroe wrote:Left hand guitar is a modded 2018 squier bullet mustang I tore down and rebuilt. The right guitar is a 1995 jagstang.

Pickguard on left is brand new from warmoth, pickguard on right is 48 years old off a 71 musicmaster.

Wonderful tort pickguards, is that the Alstang?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Alstang on the right. I ended up calling the green one Padmè

Ths light blue one (excalibur) next to Alstang was made for me by shortscale
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

robroe wrote:Left hand guitar is a modded 2018 squier bullet mustang I tore down and rebuilt. The right guitar is a 1995 jagstang.

Can I ask you how the body of the jagstang compares to the mustang? I really wanted to buy a Jag. The body on one hand felt so comfortable and well balanced when sitting down, on the other hand it was far too wide and basically my boobs were in the way. Your jagstang looks much narrower, and actually looks like it might be quite well balanced for a sitting player. How does the weight compare to your Mustang? Thanks a lot.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

honestly the jagstang is actually quite a small guitar.

here's a shit video of one of an old band practice from like 10 years ago. it sounds like ASSSSSS but it will give you a good idea of what it is in the 3d space time continuum

im 6' tall and have been told that my stature is "skinny as fuck"

[youtube][/youtube]
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

as far as thickness goes....its quite thicker than a regular mustang and especially a bullet mustang like the green one i turned into a duo sonic there.

in this photo the jagstang is just about the thickest one i have other than the bound equire
its like Jaguar thick, not mustang thick. its the blue one second one from the top with the chip out of the back

GeSe

Post by GeSe »

robroe wrote:honestly the jagstang is actually quite a small guitar.

here's a shit video of one of an old band practice from like 10 years ago. it sounds like ASSSSSS but it will give you a good idea of what it is in the 3d space time continuum

[youtube][/youtube]
Wow, love the sound! And what a sweet guitar, but I think this is not for me as I'm like 5' and have boobs, which don't go well together with Jags ;) This might be similar.
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

robroe wrote:honestly the jagstang is actually quite a small guitar.

[youtube][/youtube]
Wow, love the sound! And what a sweet guitar, but I think this is not for me as I'm like 5' and have boobs, which don't go well together with Jags ;) This might be similar.
GeSe

Post by GeSe »

robroe wrote:as far as thickness goes....its quite thicker than a regular mustang and especially a bullet mustang like the green one i turned into a duo sonic there.

in this photo the jagstang is just about the thickest one i have other than the bound equire
its like Jaguar thick, not mustang thick. its the blue one second one from the top with the chip out of the back

Wow, this is the most amazing photo I've seen all day! Btw, the stang with the racing stripes, is the blue glittery/metallic or rather simple solid blue? I keep on looking at these reissues but can't quite make out whether they are simple dark blue (which I like) or are more shiny (which I don't).
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

its not Bass Boat flake or candy flake like the Super Sonic, but its not exactly flat either. it has some depth. Lake Placid Blue is pretty much the same on any Fender and they put it on just about every guitar at the store if you want to see it in person. in other words "compBlue" is just lake placid blue with a sonic blue stripe.

This is about as close to real life as I can get for you

GeSe

Post by GeSe »

Thanks for the photo! No shop sells anything in this colour here. The shops here are full of butterscotchs, sunburst, olympic white, black, with the odd Mustang bullet blue (meh!), dull pink and the occasional pearl green thrown in. Basically: super boring!