NGD: CAR Strat

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

NGD: CAR Strat

Post by Nick »

Actually got this last week but have been too busy to post about it. I was at a flea market and almost walked by this Harmony....saw it was $10, picked it up and the neck reminded me of the old MIJ Squier Bullet I used to have...glossy and a soft V shape. I also like the fact it has small hole Klusson style tuners. The body, though relic'd a bit, also has a nice weight and feel to it, and the color was nice. I probably didn't need another strat, but I also had this spare hardshell case I got for $9 earlier this year (technically I got the case and a $1 1958 Stella from the same seller for $10 due to haggling skills).

For a $19 rig I don't think it's half bad. Add it to the $30 Peavey VTX I picked up a couple weeks ago....yeah I should probably stop :lol:

Pickups leave something to be desired...I might try to look for a cheap blue/silver/red set of lace sensors to make it the Corgan strat I always wanted and never had.

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Nice one, like the CAR on it
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Looks nice. Good score.

Funnily enough I've been looking at dirt cheap Strat variants.
I stumbled across a video of a guy playing an Encore Strat and it sold the idea that one of those could be sufficient. You can pick them up in the UK for around £20 second hand.

Don't mean to hijack your thread but here's the video if your interested. He's a good player but that guitar sounds quite decent.

Rewind to beginning, I don't know why it's uploaded halfway through the video.
[youtube][/youtube]
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Looks good.

This is why I like strats, the design is such that it doesn't need to be anything fancy or even particularly well made. The pickups will make it.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

$10?? fuck
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

Nice score.
lorez

Post by lorez »

like has been said the strat style guitar can make a great cheap functional guitar and with a bit of tlc on a set up and maybe a few upgrades can make a great everyday guitar.

My only thing that sometimes makes me walk away though are the funky looking headstocks, very superficial I know.

I'm looking for a beater guitar and this type of thing makes me realise this is all I need really
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Jeez if the market for beater guitars is this cheap where you live Nick I might have to take a page out of Roober’s book and move
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Move
dots wrote:incesticide
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

kingkiller wrote:Jeez if the market for beater guitars is this cheap where you live Nick I might have to take a page out of Roober’s book and move
Florida is actually crawling with deals, especially from estate sales for obvious Florida reasons- you just need to know where to look. You won't find anything too good for too cheap at any guitar store. Go to yardsales and flea markets instead. Just go out early on a Saturday morning with a full tank of gas and stop at every one you see signs for, but only stay long enough to look for the cheap guitars and keyboards, it's good to keep an open mind cause you usually never find what you're looking for. Thing is, up in NY yardsale season is pretty much from May until October because seasons. You have it year round.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Nick wrote:
kingkiller wrote:Jeez if the market for beater guitars is this cheap where you live Nick I might have to take a page out of Roober’s book and move
Florida is actually crawling with deals, especially from estate sales for obvious Florida reasons- you just need to know where to look. You won't find anything too good for too cheap at any guitar store. Go to yardsales and flea markets instead. Just go out early on a Saturday morning with a full tank of gas and stop at every one you see signs for, but only stay long enough to look for the cheap guitars and keyboards, it's good to keep an open mind cause you usually never find what you're looking for. Thing is, up in NY yardsale season is pretty much from May until October because seasons. You have it year round.
Thanks Nick for fueling my growing addiction
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Bacchus wrote:Looks good.

This is why I like strats, the design is such that it doesn't need to be anything fancy or even particularly well made. The pickups will make it.
The neck has always been key for me. If that's good, the rest is superficial tweaks and upgrades.

Telecasters are so basic they win at this, but Strat copies are in abundance, so sooner or later you will pick one up cheap that becomes a great buy.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

kingkiller wrote:
Nick wrote:
Thanks Nick for fueling my growing addiction
I FOUND THIS ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. FREE.

CLEANED IT UP. PUT A GUITAR AMP IN THE BOTTOM OF IT.

NOW IT PLAYS RECORDS, GUITARS, AND IT RUNS SHIT ON MY PHONE TOO

[youtube][/youtube]
dots wrote:incesticide
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Damn rahb maybe I really should move
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Nick wrote:
kingkiller wrote:especially from estate sales for obvious Florida reasons
Except those are the fuckers that help keep FL red.

I don't want them to get a cent from me.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

mkt3000 wrote:
Nick wrote:especially from estate sales for obvious Florida reasons
Except those are the fuckers that help keep FL red.

I don't want them to get a cent from me.
which fuckers? The dead ones you're essentially looting at an estate sale?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Haven't done anything with this yet but I just scored a clean set of white red/silver/blue lace sensors on reverb for $80 shipped. Wanted the cream covers but wanted to keep the build cheap even more.

Trying to decide the best pots for this set...the internet seems pretty divided between 250k and 500k.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

That looks fantastic.

I'd fall on the side of the 500k camp - if the tone control is too bright with a 500, you can always roll it off a bit. That would probably be more versatile in the long run when you play through different amps.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Nick wrote:
Florida is actually crawling with deals, especially from estate sales for obvious Florida reasons
The problem is that the high end used dealers in Florida like Blackbird, Walter Grace Vintage, and South Beach Music Exchange (among others) get there first.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Ah that's kinda shitty. They can't be all the places all the time though....I tend to not pay attention to craigslist/facebook ad groups and just go out on a Saturday morning first thing and look for signs, since not everyone advertises on facebook or craigslist.