NGD 1958 Stella/Harmony Parlor Acoustic

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

NGD 1958 Stella/Harmony Parlor Acoustic

Post by Nick »

I was yardsaling yesterday and spotted a generic hardshell electric case for $10...the same sale also had this gnarly looking unbranded acoustic with a $1 sticker on it. I asked if they would throw it in if I bought the case, so technically this was a free guitar.

It was missing tuning pegs and bridge. The neck looked straight and top looked flat enough. Neck joint seemed firmly attached.

There are no fret markers on this guitar so a previous owner painted the entire frets white. I took this off with a combination of acetone and alcohol, but it also removed some of the rosewood stain, I will probably address this with the next string change but I first wanted to make sure it was worth putting more work into.

I went to Parkway and bought some used 3+3 tuning pegs; $10 for the pair. Only problem was the holes in the pegs did not exactly clear the headstock thickness, so I had to drill out string holes further up the posts. I think I found a proper bridge on eBay but for now I am using a cheap plastic adjustable bridge I already had from a newer project parlor guitar (a Gremllin) I picked up from another yard sale last year.

So anyways, with a set of Martin Silk and Steel Marquis, I now have a whole $20 into this guitar. I love it so much, the action is a little high but nowhere near as bad as some of these Stellas I've seen, also with the light tension strings it is totally playable. Just wish I took a "before" picture...

Last edited by Nick on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I like that a lot... nice score
XY
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Love it, always was a fan of dem skinny headstocks
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Great purchase. It's a made in the 50s or 60s Stella or Harmony from what I understand. 8 years ago you could buy one on ebay in a working condition for $30-50 all day long. I was toying with an idea of buying one after I had seen a video with some old man playing one. At the time they were still considered to be junk on most guitar forums (Norlin era Gibsons were considered to be junk by many). Just checked ebay - they've gone from 5 to 10 times up in price
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

sunshiner wrote:Great purchase. It's a made in the 50s or 60s Stella or Harmony from what I understand.
Yeah... that's actually in the title of the thread
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I took a guess as to the year. Who really knows....inside the sound hole it is stamped "S-58-E Made In USA" for all the good that does in identifying it. S=Stella, 58=year of manufacture perhaps?

I ordered the correct bridge for it on eBay last night for $16 shipped

No such thing as a free guitar :lol:
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Found this website, 2nd picture down confirms my suspicion.

http://harmony.demont.net/faq.php

One of the oldest guitars I've ever owned.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

sweet! I have one of these, I love it!

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
DiAmoroso

Post by DiAmoroso »

Can't beat it at that price!
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Can't believe the action is that low, really great score!