Kevin Shields Jazzmaster coming? (probably not)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

BearBoy

Kevin Shields Jazzmaster coming? (probably not)

Post by BearBoy »

Fender Twitter:
Last edited by BearBoy on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

wild guess this is what the tweet is about
dots wrote:incesticide
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

About time Kurtney got the respek she deserves
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Not knocking Kevin Shields, I was a fanboy of MBV, but really?

There was a time a handful of iconic players had signature guitars, they give anyone now.

I'm holding out for a James Bourne signature Strat, the work he did with Busted was incredible.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

He IS a pretty iconic Jazzmaster player though, no?

Presumably this is also a pretty easy way to use existing stock, tweak a few details and bung someone with a fanbase's name on it
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Doog wrote:He IS a pretty iconic Jazzmaster player though, no?

Presumably this is also a pretty easy way to use existing stock, tweak a few details and bung someone with a fanbase's name on it
I'm not so sure Doog, beyond a minority group off offset nerds and retro cool students most people have never heard of My Bloody Valentine.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Sure, but most people are dicks Fran.

And probably wouldn’t be interested in a Jazzmaster anyway.

From a personal perspective, Kevin Shields was one of the main reasons I got interested in Jags/Jazzmasters in the first place. Appreciate the appeal might be limited to nerds though :lol:
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I think quite a lot of young folk would associate that colour combo with The Horrors instead.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Nowt wrong with the Horrors...I quite enjoy what little of their stuff I've heard.

Admittedly, JMs aren't very popular guitars but Shields has done as much for promoting them as anyone, so I'm not surprised that he's getting a sig model. I quite liked the look of the Troy Van Leeuwen model, but heard so-so things about the build quality.

The specs will decide on whether I'd want one of these...Shields' guitar collection is surrounded by such a large fog of rumours and misinformation that I'm genuinely interested in what mods this will involve. It's a nice colour and the matching headstock is cool, but otherwise...I dunno yet.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

His guitars are pretty much stock. Only mod is the tape on the trem arm.

I remember hearing from a guy who played a festival with MBV. KS told him the Squier J Mascis was the best JM on the market.

He definitely deserves a sig model but it's nothing special.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

they should make it a squier to reflect the cheap ass prices kevin shields and like every other alt rocker in the 90s was able to get them for lmao shit would sell like hotcakes

also yeah not everyone knows kevin shields but also not everyone knows that jazzmasters are a thing either tbh. if it were a venn diagram, the sets of people who know what offset guitars are and people who know about my bloody valentine are super fucking close my dudes. admit it. its a nerd guitar, for fucking nerds, and youre all nerds
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

Given how many different models they produce now it seems pretty mainstream to me
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Noirie. wrote:His guitars are pretty much stock. Only mod is the tape on the trem arm.

I remember hearing from a guy who played a festival with MBV. KS told him the Squier J Mascis was the best JM on the market.

He definitely deserves a sig model but it's nothing special.
In terms of value for money I'd agree with him.

A Squier KS model would be the right way to go imo. Putting the the thing out as a £900 Fender will limit its appeal.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

i would honestly be shocked and kinda disappointed if there didnt end being at least a squier model, since from what i can gather about signature models, the artist not only decides the specs but also the price point they'd like to have it released at, like how j mascis had a fender model and a squier model made.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Fran wrote:Putting the the thing out as a £900 Fender will limit its appeal.
If it’s US made then it’s likely to be more like £1900. Possibly more if it’s reliced.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Fran wrote:Not knocking Kevin Shields, I was a fanboy of MBV, but really?

There was a time a handful of iconic players had signature guitars, they give anyone now.
See, I think they'll sell fucking millions. They'll have (finally!) done a little research into their market, spent some time on Offset, and thought "all these disposable income fellas-of-a-certain-age love Kevin Shields".
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

I'm not familiar with Fender's twitter account, but reading it again: it sounds as much like "to mark our product's 60th anniversary year, here's an example of someone famous using it" as it does a teaser of a planned product.

That said, I also agree that 1. a Squier version, much like the J Mascis sig, would still be great and 2. even if they went for a US model that's considerably pricier, it would find a market of people who are young enough to be interested while old enough to afford one.