Rail vs Lipstick for Bronco Bass pu replacement

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Golden_Sonic

Rail vs Lipstick for Bronco Bass pu replacement

Post by Golden_Sonic »

I could have the opportunity to buy a Bronco Bass and I read that the first recommend upgrade is swapping the pickup because the original is a ceramic garbage; I know that there are tons of posts everywhere about this topic (the guide written by honeyiscool is gold, thank you) but the correct aftermarket replacement cost more than the bass so I think I'll go for a cheap rail (something like Wilkinson, Artec...); another option is a lipstick pu but I've seen them only on Danelectros and I don't know what exactly it is or if it has a single magnetic bar inside like as the rails. Any expert here?
-Guitar: Squier VM Mustang, Squier CV '50 Duo Sonic;
-Amplifier: Hughes&Kettner Blue Edition 60;
-FXs: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 Wah, Boss BD-2 Blues Drive, Proco RAT, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, EH Small Clone, MUZA FD900, Bespeco Volume pedal.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Yes, single bar magnet.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

I dropped a red lace sensor in a 78 musicmaster bass, and it worked wonderfully.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Golden_Sonic

Post by Golden_Sonic »

Thank you guys. Which is the best choice between them for a more middle-bass range?
-Guitar: Squier VM Mustang, Squier CV '50 Duo Sonic;
-Amplifier: Hughes&Kettner Blue Edition 60;
-FXs: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 Wah, Boss BD-2 Blues Drive, Proco RAT, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, EH Small Clone, MUZA FD900, Bespeco Volume pedal.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

The Lace blue (meant to be 50s buckery) is really fat and bassy in a Strat’s neck or bridge position. It has nicer cleans than a Red to my ears as well (also in a Strat, haven’t heard it in a BB)
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I've heard the blue described as being P-90ish, which I'd say is about right. I have one in the neck of a strat and it sounds great. I'd say it would be a good shout for this sort of thing.