Robert Johnson dead

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Doug

Robert Johnson dead

Post by Doug »

Is this for real?

Tunica News reports:

Elderly local musician, Robert Johnson, has passed away at 105 in his small home in Robinsonville today. He passed away in his sleep according to caretakers of the Abbey Leatherman Plantation. Mr Johnson was respected world-wide for his early contributions to modern American music.

His funeral will be at Mt. Zion Baptist Church this Sunday. Pall bearers will be Buddy Guy, Bonnie Raitt, Keith Richards, Joe Bonamassa, Mick Jagger, and John Hammond.
Doug
NickS

Post by NickS »

Died (poisoned) 1938
NickS

Post by NickS »

Hmm, apparently not poisoned.
Wikipedia wrote:LeFlore County Registrar Cornelia Jordan, after conducting an investigation into Johnson's death for the state director of Vital Statistics, R.N. Whitfield, wrote on Johnson's death certificate:

I talked with the white man on whose place this negro died and I also talked with a negro woman on the place. The plantation owner said the negro man, seemingly about 26 years old, came from Tunica two or three weeks before he died to play banjo at a negro dance given there on the plantation. He stayed in the house with some of the negroes saying he wanted to pick cotton. The white man did not have a doctor for this negro as he had not worked for him. He was buried in a homemade coffin furnished by the county. The plantation owner said it was his opinion that the negro died of syphilis.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Man, fuck 1938. Who next, eh?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

April 1st?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

i wish there was a link.

damn funny though

I did my recording engineering dissertation on Delta Blues Vol's 1&2

I wonder whatever happened to it.