G&L Doheny

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

mkt3000

G&L Doheny

Post by mkt3000 »

Thoughts? I don't hate the hardtail on the right.

10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Jazzmaster copies are the strat copies of this decade.

G&L makes quality guitars for the money.

These are probably a good value for people who don't care about headstock shape or decals.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Also I don't like the third knob there. It looks weird.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I like it
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Grant

Post by Grant »

I assume two of the knobs are their treble/bass cut circuit like on the S500. Looks like those are MFD pickups, either Jazzmaster-sized(!) or under jazzmaster covers. I'm running out the door right now so I can't really do much searching; where's the info on these things?
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Introducing G&L Doheny: the Evolution of the Offset

Inspired by the classic surf sound born in Southern California, the new G&L Dohenyâ„¢ takes its name from the iconic beach in the heart of Orange County
where '60s surf pioneers became legends. Since those halcyon days, both music and surfing have evolved far beyond their roots, and so has the the performance of the gear.

Doheny takes the bolt-on offset-body into new sonic territory with newly developed Magnetic Field Designâ„¢ jazz pickups, the first on any production G&L. Naturally,
these new pickups will invite comparison to Leo’s jumbo MFD™ ASAT® Special pickups, given they employ a narrow bobbin aperture and broad coil splay.
But Doheny's MFD pickups are more about jangle than twang, just as they should be for a guitar like this. With a classic jazz bobbin aperture wrapped with traditional Formvar wire,
these pickups just might be the approach Leo would have taken had he been with us a few years longer.

So what’s it like? The sound is rich in harmonics yet surprisingly full, the result of carefully researching and applying Leo’s creative work across the decades.
The Doheny pickups deliver the experience fans have hoped for, with their flexibility maximized by the PTB tone system that allows echoes of yesteryear while
delivering more output and range for today’s music. Add in Leo’s finest vibrato for enhanced tuning stability and improved sustain, and the results are astounding.

Ron Moreno, National Sales Manager, has a special announcement for G&L dealers:

"The official launch date of the Doheny is September 12, and we're now taking orders so your store can have them in stock when the media campaign begins.
All of us at G&L are thrilled with the new Doheny, as it was an unparalleled opportunity to visualize just where Leo Fender himself might have taken the offset guitar.
We're sure your customers will be delighted."

The personal name, likeness and signature of Mr. Clarence Leo Fender are property of G&L Musical Instruments / BBE Sound, Inc. G&L is not associated with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Grant wrote:I assume two of the knobs are their treble/bass cut circuit like on the S500. Looks like those are MFD pickups, either Jazzmaster-sized(!) or under jazzmaster covers. I'm running out the door right now so I can't really do much searching; where's the info on these things?
I really love the bass/treble cut on my Legacy, it's a real big improvement on the Fender tone system. I'd be VERY interested to try it on something Jazzmastery.

Mind, the Fender tremolo system on Jazzmasters is a big draw to me, it's a great subtle design. The 2-point trem system is pretty nice too, but not as smooth as the traditional Jazzmaster system.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
BoringPostcards

Post by BoringPostcards »

I'm happy G&L finally decided to do the offset body. It's basically a hi-fi jagmaster of sorts. I like the look of these.
Det er mig der holder træerne sammen
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

I like. Not sold on the reverb handle design, but I daresay I'd be pleasantly surprised if I tried one out. I guess it's a neat compromise between a traditional Strat and JM design - as much as I adore the JM version, it does kill the sustain somewhat.

Interesting tone controls too, even if the third knob does look a little strange. If they do indeed work on a "two band" system, that would be pretty great.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Meh.

It's all been done to death, or maybe I've been around these parts too long. We were looking at Jazzmaster copies 15 years ago on JS.Com, it's become a bit boring.

I do like some G&L stuff but I'm not feeling it with these.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

I'd fuck with this hard if they made a 12 string hard tail jazz and stacked the treble and bass knobs, because i hate that fucking side jack shit, it looks ugly as fuck to me. i might be able to deal with it if they made a 12 string though, i want that fucking J A N G L E
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Revelation RJT-60/12?

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

yeah something like that but with more jazzmaster pickup less p-90
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Johno

Post by Johno »

Never played a bad G&L and the hardware electronics are great even on the budget models...... I'm glad they have made these but for me the reason I play Jazzmasters & Jags has a lot to do with the tremolo, would have love to have seen G&L use a version of the traditional trem.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

i was looking at the offset thread on these and someone did a pretty good mockup of their ideal G&L offset design, complete with a jazzmaster style tremolo but the back plate was G&L styled and ended up looking like a frog silhouette. it was pretty cute, i would dig this way more if they had gone with something like that
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Fran wrote:Meh.

It's all been done to death, or maybe I've been around these parts too long. We were looking at Jazzmaster copies 15 years ago on JS.Com, it's become a bit boring.

I'm with Fran. It looks like some Hohner JT60, Stagg or Jay Turser bollocks. At least the 17,283 Strat clones all look like Strats. These Jazzmasters with the tricky bits left off are embarrassing.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

timhulio wrote:These Jazzmasters with the tricky bits left off are embarrassing.
I don't think that's embarrassing as an idea, it's a great idea if it's a sub £300 guitar aimed at 14 year olds who want to look cool but don't have the money or desire to pay for switching options and finicky trems because they just want to punk out. Beyond that, yeah, the idea reaches its limits.
Grant

Post by Grant »

timhulio wrote:
Fran wrote:Meh.

I'm with Fran. It looks like some Hohner JT60, Stagg or Jay Turser bollocks. At least the 17,283 Strat clones all look like Strats. These Jazzmasters with the tricky bits left off are embarrassing.
Eh. These ones at least have ~deluxe~ tone circuits and unique-ish pickups. The bridges look better than the standard strat copy types, too.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Wish it was more G&L(Leo Fender) and less Fender, if that makes sense.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Ummm... I like.

10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10