Musima Eterna fixer-upper

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Musima Eterna fixer-upper

Post by timhulio »

[youtube][/youtube]

Already mentioned this in that thread about orientating the control labels of guitars that have too many controls, but thought I'd post a few pics of the project now it's pretty much done.

So I got this Musima Eterna for £110 on the bay. That may sound a little steep, but I already had this project planned-out in my head the moment I saw it.

I wanted to add some active electronics to a guitar, and this seemed basket-casey enough that I wouldn't feel too bad about routing it for a battery box.

Here's the Thumbcutter preamp/fuzz based on a Germanium boost with a Germanium clipping circuit for the fuzz.

weeping_moon

Re: Musima Eterna fixer-upper

Post by weeping_moon »

Nice job on that one. It must have been a hell of a job to clean that one up?

How has it been stored to look like that?

And hows the neck?
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

I'm a guess it'd been stored somewhere damp, then allowed to dry out. It was in an absolutely decrepit gig bag, that I had to cut away from the guitar. The pickguards on these decay horrifically, oxidising and fucking-up any metal hardware near them. There was a fair bit of oxidation under the chrome(?) plating on the pickups and tailpiece, so a bit of the plating came off in cleaning. It wasn't actually too arduous a job. Fortunately all the pickups still worked, I just chose to only have two for those out-of-phase sounds.

The neck is perfectly straight and the action is great - as low as you'd need, with no buzzing or owt. The neck is a bit fat up the high notes though.
cooter

Post by cooter »

Super save!
Smells like Rock n' Roll
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Holy shit guy you turned that one around... nice work
XY
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Whoah, that looks impossible.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

cool! i have one of these here as a wall-hanger only, since the switches won't move and it doesn't make a sound. should fix it, cuz it looks pretty damn hot.

those pickguards seem to be responsible for the oxidation - they have something toxic in them, seriously.
my name is Pat.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

timhulio wrote:I'm a guess it'd been stored somewhere damp, then allowed to dry out. It was in an absolutely decrepit gig bag, that I had to cut away from the guitar. The pickguards on these decay horrifically, oxidising and fucking-up any metal hardware near them. There was a fair bit of oxidation under the chrome(?) plating on the pickups and tailpiece, so a bit of the plating came off in cleaning. It wasn't actually too arduous a job. Fortunately all the pickups still worked, I just chose to only have two for those out-of-phase sounds.

The neck is perfectly straight and the action is great - as low as you'd need, with no buzzing or owt. The neck is a bit fat up the high notes though.
Well great job!!
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Amazing.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Looks great.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Great work Tim. It looked beyond saving.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Did you need to do anything to the neck? Did you know if it was straight when you saved it?

In any case, beautiful resto-mod....love everything about it.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Wow, you really turned that one around.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

You must have had one hell of a vision for it because that initial pic would have scared me off. What a save!!
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Nick wrote:Did you need to do anything to the neck? Did you know if it was straight when you saved it?

In any case, beautiful resto-mod....love everything about it.
I didn't know the neck was straight until it arrived, but I've got the original neck from the Elgita as a spare. Oddly the headstock has a slight warp. I don't know how you'd deal with something like that - claps and steam? Anyway it's not too noticeable. I'll get a decent photo of the neck and action though. Was really surprised how playable it is.

The rust kinda looks worse than it was, and it came off quickly with the scotchbrite / WD40 method.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Looks like they had more tarnish than rust.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

timhulio wrote:
I didn't know the neck was straight until it arrived, but I've got the original neck from the Elgita as a spare. Oddly the headstock has a slight warp. I don't know how you'd deal with something like that - claps and steam? Anyway it's not too noticeable. I'll get a decent photo of the neck and action though. Was really surprised how playable it is.

The rust kinda looks worse than it was, and it came off quickly with the scotchbrite / WD40 method.
If the warp on the headstock isn't messing with anything I'd just leave it as-is.
BoringPostcards

Post by BoringPostcards »

Kim Gordon used one of those as her main guitar after she switched over from bass due to arthritis.
First time I ever saw one was back in 96 or 97 when they were touring Washing Machine.
I'd love to find one someday.
You're lucky to have two.
Det er mig der holder træerne sammen