2017 Squier Affinity HH Jazzmaster

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

HNB

Post by HNB »

I also ordered these tuners. Anyone know for sure if they are a straight swap for the normal Squier ones? They look like they would be the same.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Par ... uners.html

HNB

Post by HNB »

It was asked on another forum, so I checked.

The guard matches AVRI almost exactly. Here it is on one of the templates I bought for a Jazzmaster. Only thing that is off is the toggle hole slightly.

Image2017-02-22_06-04-02 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Thanks for the pics. Your neck is looking great! It's nice to know that Squier is using pickguards that can be replaced with very little work. That's going to look excellent with a white pickguard.
As far as the Gotohs fitting, the most common issue/consideration you have to be aware of is the fit of the bushings (different sizes for US and imports) but your drawing shows it uses a 10mm Hex bushing with a passthrough that accommodates a post measuring .236 (5.99mm) so you should be able to leave the stock bushings in and the Gotoh tuners should just drop in and fit fine. If for some reason they don't fit, you can get adapter bushings but it looks like the stock machines on your Affinity are identical to the Bullet Mustang's so you should be fine. I had to use different bushings when I upgraded my Bullet Mustang to the vintage style Klusons.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

what bushings did you use? I'm thinking about replacing those Gotohs on my jazzstang with F style machines, and i have those giant squier holes with the plastic bushing in my headstock.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

PV-1955 wrote:I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a white one. It really looks like a fun modding platform. I have this 2011 Vintage Modified JM Special in BSB that has an absolutely killer neck but that I wish they had made the body like this new Affinity (as far as having string through body, regular hardtail bridge and output jack on pickguard) If I do get the white Affinty JM, I'll probably swap necks for a bit.

that is the first ever guitar i have seen in cat shit tan that i like. nice work
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

the guitar will look awesome white on white.

get some soap covers!!!

http://www.allparts.com/PC-0303-025-Hu ... _2398.html
HNB

Post by HNB »

Those look pretty cool. Do they just stay on the pickup with pressure?
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

robroe wrote:
PV-1955 wrote:I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a white one. It really looks like a fun modding platform. I have this 2011 Vintage Modified JM Special in BSB that has an absolutely killer neck but that I wish they had made the body like this new Affinity (as far as having string through body, regular hardtail bridge and output jack on pickguard) If I do get the white Affinty JM, I'll probably swap necks for a bit.

that is the first ever guitar i have seen in cat shit tan that i like. nice work
:D Thanks! The actual color is Squier's version of Butterscotch Blonde.

HNB

Post by HNB »

Neck is done. Just waiting for the tuners and string tree to arrive. I also picked up my other parts. Just waiting on a quote for a new pickguard. That will probably be what takes the longest for this to be done. :)

Image20170226_072912 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20170226_072927 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20170226_072943 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
HNB

Post by HNB »

You can see the stain better when it is next to white. :)

Image2017-02-26_09-29-03 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

I tried one of these at the guitar show yesterday. It looks quite cool, and didn't sound too bad through a Mustang I amp, but I hate these affinity necks. They're a really flat and wide D-shape and so bloody uncomfortable. It's kinda painful to wrap your fingers around, and there's no neck to fill your palm. Actually kinda odd. The Fender modern-C is/was much maligned, but that's wonderful compared to these Squier necks.
HNB

Post by HNB »

My monster hands like it. My first guitar was a Peavey Patriot that had a flat fretboard so that is probably why I like it. ;D
HNB

Post by HNB »

Good news bad news. The tuners came and they fit, but the hole for putting in the screw has them tilted the opposite direction tuners normally go. They basically sit perpendicular to the neck instead of perpendicular to the headstock line. They will work fine and I would rather not drill another hole, but I figured I would mention it. :)

Image20170228_161513 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Image20170228_161451 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't looking for it.
HNB

Post by HNB »

It was funny because it made me look at all my other guitars. They all have the tuners perpendicular to the angle of the headstock shape vs the neck itself. I am happy they will still work just fine even if they look a little off/odd. LOL
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

HOly shit that's hot
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

HNB wrote:Those look pretty cool. Do they just stay on the pickup with pressure?
when i put them in my supersonic i had to shave a little off the pickguard holes, then jam the cover over the pickup thru the hole, after the pickup is mounted.

you just have to go slow with a dremel, and use feel as you go. shave a little, try to jam it in there, shave a little more, jam it in there. in the end it takes quite a lot of force to pull one out. its not just going to bail on you while you are playing

[youtube][/youtube]
HNB

Post by HNB »

Cool. I might give them a try. I read someone else say to put some double stick tape between the poles on the plastic part to help hold it down.
HNB

Post by HNB »

robroe wrote:
HNB wrote:Those look pretty cool. Do they just stay on the pickup with pressure?
when i put them in my supersonic i had to shave a little off the pickguard holes, then jam the cover over the pickup thru the hole, after the pickup is mounted.

you just have to go slow with a dremel, and use feel as you go. shave a little, try to jam it in there, shave a little more, jam it in there. in the end it takes quite a lot of force to pull one out. its not just going to bail on you while you are playing
Ordered a set. Since I am having a white guard made, I just asked the dude to make the pickup holes sized for covered pickups. Hopefully that works.

Once put together it will have white body, parchment guard, and white pickup covers. Chrome tele knobs and an updated *amber* toggle. Along with my wonky and much debated slanted Gotoh tuners. LOL
HNB

Post by HNB »

Just need the guard to come in. It might be done today or tomorrow. :) Can't wait to get it back together.