Squier Bullet Mustang

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

weeping_moon

Squier Bullet Mustang

Post by weeping_moon »

Have anyone here tryed one out?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

GreenKnee's got one. He posted his impressions in this thread: http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64137

Take a look at pages 4 and 5.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

i think they are a cool idea, but it isn't really a mustang..... lack of trem, switches. and pups, plus its a conversion scale. and it only comes in 2 colors right? baltic blue and flat black. I guess they are cheap enough to be a good modding platform. since its a top loading bridge you could throw an actual mustang bridg/trem unit on it. and there is definitely enough room to put in some decent pickups, unless you wanted p-90;s in which case you would have to route the body a bit. the colors are sort of bland as well. totally affinity style.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

This is my first post here.

FWIW, these have turned out to be a fun, affordable modding platform. They actually play quite well right out of the box.

They are 24" scale (the Fender website finally corrected the 24.75" they had listed)

It has a Basswood body with Maple/Rosewood neck/fretboard and a 12" radius

Toploader hardtail bridge.

Swimming pool route makes it easy to install any pickups you want

Here's mine with a new pg, new tuners and a bit of Kiwi. I have another tortie pg with single coils I'll be putting on with the next string change.

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Welcome!
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Are those the stock string trees?
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

theshadowofseattle wrote:Are those the stock string trees?
No they are from Graph-Tech.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Fakir Mustache wrote:Welcome!
Thanks!!
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Probably wouldnt work. But I'd like to swap the body on a Mustang Special out for the body on this one. Keep the mustang special's neck, hardware, pickups, just replace its body with the bullet mustang.
That's why I sent the mustang special back, body was too small.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

can you take a photo of the back of the neck for me?

as accurate as possible showing as much gloss and tint as possible

the 3 new mexican ones i played (duo sonics and army mustang) were way too white on the back and dry as fuck.

i need like 8 layers of gloss and tint. proper 1998 MIJ style or gtfo with this thing

what you posted looks FUCKIN GREAT

proper MATT SHARP / JAY RUSELL style

dots wrote:incesticide
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

robroe wrote:can you take a photo of the back of the neck for me?

as accurate as possible showing as much gloss and tint as possible...

Here's yet another Bullet Mustang neck that I did just yesterday.
I also have the new MIM Duo-Sonic in Capri Orange and I will be doing the neck and tuners on it as well.

PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

.... and here's the back of the headstock on the black Bullet Mustang that I posted pics of earlier in this thread.

Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Since you swapped the pickguard, I'm curious if it's got a USA pattern like the Squier VM series? Or if it's more MIJ/CIJ? I just happen to have a tort pickguard and Mustang switches, so this is really tempting. Especially if a Squier VM or MIJ/CIJ neck will fit on it.
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

Dillon wrote:Since you swapped the pickguard, I'm curious if it's got a USA pattern like the Squier VM series? Or if it's more MIJ/CIJ? I just happen to have a tort pickguard and Mustang switches, so this is really tempting. Especially if a Squier VM or MIJ/CIJ neck will fit on it.

Here's a scan of the stock pickguard and I've been replacing them with cheapies on Amazon/Ebay that are typically marked "3 ply for Fender Mustang Classic Series".
I use the fill and drill method when installing new pickguards.

GreenCustom24

Post by GreenCustom24 »

PV-1955 wrote:.... and here's the back of the headstock on the black Bullet Mustang that I posted pics of earlier in this thread.

Original tuners were probably horrible, right? What'd you wind up using? I'm looking at some Kluson style (white knob) from WD. Looks like what you used as well?
PV-1955

Post by PV-1955 »

GreenCustom24 wrote:
PV-1955 wrote:.... and here's the back of the headstock on the black Bullet Mustang that I posted pics of earlier in this thread.

Original tuners were probably horrible, right? What'd you wind up using? I'm looking at some Kluson style (white knob) from WD. Looks like what you used as well?

The stock tuners are the cheap sealed die-cast type and they aren’t nearly as bad as some have stated. I find that with a short scale you really do have to stretch the strings out super well before it holds tune very well and the stock tuners do hold tune quite well once the strings are worked. I prefer the vintage Kluson type though and I like to mod.

On the first black Mustang, I used Kluson Single Lines (SD9105MNP) and on the Blue Mustang that I just started, I’m using Rotomatic (1248NR-4X R3) which are the tuners that Fender used on the MIM and Classic Vibe Duo-Sonics. Both are quite good. I prefer the Klusons but they are more expensive. For a good Kluson type on a budget, I can recommend some Tuners from MusicLily which are $11.00 shipped from Amazon. -
These aren't white button though.
Last edited by PV-1955 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
GreenCustom24

Post by GreenCustom24 »

Sweet. Thanks man. I may be ordering one and some new parts next week... Trying to make the oh-so-difficult decision: Some new pedals or a new guitar? The guitar would be a no brainer if I were actually in a band right now... I wanna finish my pedalboard though. Ha We'll see.
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

this is why fender is in 100 million dollars debt. built a factory someplace to sell squier mustangs for 99 dolllars. it makes no cents
Darth Stang

Post by Darth Stang »

this is why fender is in 100 million dollars debt. built a factory someplace to sell squier mustangs for 99 dolllars. it makes no cents
astro

Post by astro »

How thick is the body?