Pickup covers/potting

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Mattsican

Pickup covers/potting

Post by Mattsican »

I ordered a set of the Seymour Duncan Pegasus/Sentinent to replace the stock S2 pups in my PRS S2 Custom 22. The SD's are uncovered and the stock are nickel covered so i bought a set of nickel covers from SD to go over the new pups. Watching videos, theres a ton of ways to put the covers on from just pushing them on all the way to boiling in wax. Theres people who tape and silicone etc etc etc. What do you all recommend? I dont play a ton of super high gain stuff but i dont want them to get microphonic while playing a show or something.
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I removed the covers from two sets that were wax potted and thought they sounded so much better with high gain than with the covers, plus they looked cooler.

It not like they fed back with the covers, just a weird spike.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Mattsican

Post by Mattsican »

Its an antique white PRS and i thought about just using the black uncovered look but it just looks like trash to me.
facebook.com/Steelscape
facebook.com/GetToMars
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Agree, get zebras.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts