MIDI to CV converters?

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

lorez

MIDI to CV converters?

Post by lorez »

Can anyone recommend a cost effective midi cv converter/controller? I have picked up a werkstatt and want to be able to sequence it or play it from outside the basic keyboard. Ideally I'd like to run it straight from ableton.
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

There's also modules that do that, but you need a modular case and power to use those.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Arturia Keystep (keyboard) or Beatstep (pad-sequencer) perhaps
Last edited by paul_ on Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

paul_ wrote:Arturia Keystep?
only £100, and on my general 'to get' list (mainly for arpeggiating/sequencing but the cv functionality will also be handy)
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Have a beatstep and will likely pick up a keystep as well. Build quality is impressive for the pricepoint and combo cv/usb midi capabilities really have you reaching for it surprisingly often.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

one of my friends has the beatstep pro and he was grumbling about it crashing and glitching quite a lot, but not sure if it's a firmware issue.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Haven't had issues with mine but the Pro lets you save/recall things so the problem may lie in the firmware for it as you suggest. That's a shame, I've had my eye on upgrading to that one.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Thanks for the tips, I'll take a look. I was also considering a microbrute as an option
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Buy a minibrute and use it as a cv out
XY
lorez

Post by lorez »

dezb1 wrote:Buy a minibrute and use it as a cv out
Looking at the microbrute it sounds similar has same oscillator & filter, sequencer and mini patch bay. Only negative is the mini keys but used it appears to be £100 cheaper.

My only worry reading things is the werkstatt is +/- 5 volts and not sure the others are. At least the werkstatt is made for modding so it will be time to crack out the soldering iron and see what I can do
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I remember reading somewhere that it could be done by USB with a Korg SQ-1.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts