Gibson M2 $399

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Gibson M2 $399

Post by westtexasred »

Now on sale see bottom post

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by westtexasred on Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I quite like.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

They're $400 w/ gig bag on amazon. Seems like the ideal HH modding platform. Good price, fun colors, crappy hardware and pickups you won't mind swapping out, and the right headstock when all's said and done.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Still though, thinking it over, probably not as well made or as good a bargain as something Matsoouku
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

I dig it! Give me a Citron Green! Set necks too! 8)
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

NEEDS SINGLE COILS
dots wrote:incesticide
Sloan
Sexy Predator

Post by Sloan »

The green looks rad. Someone play one and let us know if it's as shit as we think.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

robroe wrote:NEEDS SINGLE COILS
Yes! And we are back to the good old Melody Maker
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

speedfish wrote:I dig it! Give me a Citron Green! Set necks too! 8)
Actually I think it would have been cooler if they looked into their company's history and made it bolt-on.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Fakir Mustache wrote:
speedfish wrote:I dig it! Give me a Citron Green! Set necks too! 8)
Actually I think it would have been cooler if they looked into their company's history and made it bolt-on.
Plenty of inexpensive Epiphone bolt-on Les Paul types already available.

This:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Le ... -Guitar.gc

Or this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Le ... -Guitar.gc

This is really cool because it's simple, it's American made, and it has that extra work/expense of setting the neck verses bolting it on. It's produced in the same vein as the Melody makers from the 1960's. A budget guitar that still retains some of the cool features of it's more expensive brethren.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

^This
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Surely there's not much extra work for a large manufacturer to set a neck? Shoot some glue and put it in a jig?

This is pretty cool but I'm sorta surprised it exists. Not much info on it, even. And they supposedly won't be sold in stores, just online. I checked Amazon and it looks like it has a maple neck, one which isn't angled, so that's unusual for a Gibson. And it has Epiphone pickups, and what look to be generic unbranded Ping or Gotoh tuners. I dunno, I probably would just buy a used Melody Maker if I were in the market for a cheap Gibson. Or a nice MIJ copy.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Dillon wrote:Surely there's not much extra work for a large manufacturer to set a neck? Shoot some glue and put it in a jig?

This is pretty cool but I'm sorta surprised it exists. Not much info on it, even. And they supposedly won't be sold in stores, just online. I checked Amazon and it looks like it has a maple neck, one which isn't angled, so that's unusual for a Gibson. And it has Epiphone pickups, and what look to be generic unbranded Ping or Gotoh tuners. I dunno, I probably would just buy a used Melody Maker if I were in the market for a cheap Gibson. Or a nice MIJ copy.
Yeah, it's more work. Requires more precision and test fitting. The neck and body require a tenon and mortise joint which requires more cutting and more routing. And then there's gluing and waiting and waiting for the glue to set. You can't go from applying glue to immediately putting strings on the guitar. You can with bolting a neck on a guitar, but not with gluing a neck on. You apply the glue. You apply your clamps and then you wait until it completely sets, then you can move on to the next step. This is time consuming and time=money, so this is very cool to get an American made guitar with this feature at a bargain price.

Here's a video that will allow you to see the extra cuts, routes and work that must be done for the neck and body to fit precisely together.

Disciple of Pain

Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

I really like the "teal" colour. It's a lot like their Pelham Blue (a colour that I've been GASing over for ages), but more of a 1950s girly pastel sort of shade. I dig it.

Plus the set neck thing, natch.
Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Hm, I knew it's more work, but not really that much? Even with a bolt neck you should still make sure it fits properly, and potentially adjust the angle with a shim. Obviously there's no drying time though. I just wouldn't think that a set neck as a feature is something that would raise the price much. Plenty of cheap set necks out there.

Found these too. I think this is in a different series. More expensive with the beveled top and USA-made pickups. I like the blue one a lot.

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Dang, I really like those

With some nice looking singles (Firebird-style goldfoils for instance) and maybe a plain white scratchy, thi'd be the raddest. Love that skinny headstock.
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Man, that's just nuts!
Disciple of Pain

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Damn Americans making us islanders jealous with your low low prices...
XY
westtexasred

Post by westtexasred »

The one complaint I have read in the Amazon customer reviews is that the bridge pulls up on these guitars.

"The bridge of the guitar slipped and now is at a point where the action with a full setup is still high. I went into my local Sam Ash store and inquired if they had similar issues with other S Model Gibsons and they said all of them because they share the same bridge design"

Is the problem with the bridge or because poplar a softer wood than mahogany?