Mustang 65RI Pickups (and alternatives)

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Protagonist

Mustang 65RI Pickups (and alternatives)

Post by Protagonist »

I've just recently acquired my first Mustang, a 65RI. It currently has lace sensors in it right now, a hot gold in the neck and a purple in the bridge.

I've never used any lace sensors before, so they're a bit interesting. I like them individually, but paired they don't seem to sound all that great together. In fact, when they're in parallel it sounds basically like just the neck pickup is on; I can't notice much difference when I turn the bridge on and off. I'm wondering if this is just a weird pairing. I like the versatility of the neck pickup, so I was thinking maybe I could replace the bridge with the hot gold bridge pickup. I'm wondering how much heat I'd lose from them if I did that though. I do like how hot the bridge is right now.

Alternatively, I was given the original 65RI pickups with the guitar, so I could put those in as well.

And then, I could go off into the wild and look for something. I've heard good things about Novaks and Fralins.

Suggestions?
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

I have owned a couple Mustangs in recent years. The first was one of those Competition Reissue things, and the pickups weren't great in it, just generic single coils. Not bad, but not particularly inspiring either.

I also have a 66 RI that came with no pickups and now has a set of 65 Reissue pups in there (originally it would've had the same pickups as the 69 Comp RI). These pickups are great (imo) for the money, and really have a sound similar to my friends' actual 1966 Stang. I remember first playing the 65 reissue years ago and really liking the sound of the pups, and I still do in a different guitar.

I've never used any other aftermarket Mustang pickups though, so maybe I'm not the best person to be chiming in. For what it is worth though, I have a really nice set of Bareknuckle Apache in my Strat, which is my main guitar, and when I switch to my Mustang, I never feel like I'm switching to an instrument that doesn't sound as good due to its' pickups.

I'd say if the Lace ones aren't doing it for you, maybe try the reissue pickups and go from there. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.
NickS

Post by NickS »

I believe honeyiscool is a person with experience of all the different Lace sensors... worth a PM?
Rox

Post by Rox »

I had Lace sensors in my MG73... Meh.. Many like them but I however didn't.

A cool alternative to give your Mustang a special kind of OOMPH that I experimented with is Duncan Quarter Pounders for Jaguar. You can even fit the pickup cover over them to keep an original look..
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

My old Mustang (which Johnnytheboy has now I think) had Lace Sensors in - a silver in the neck and a blue in the bridge. That combination worked really well for me - a more conventional brightness for the neck with a darker bridge sound with more lows and mids.

I dunno about how other Sensors sound though, apart from the Red being a little underwhelming.

Novaks are a little pricey for those on a budget, but very good - my jazzmaster has a pair of Novaks and they sound fantastic. He's a cool guy to deal with too.
Protagonist

Post by Protagonist »

I guess my thought is that if I try the original pickups they won't be quite as hot as the lace sensors, but at the same time they'll be less sterile. Maybe I'll see if I enjoy them (I've never rewired a guitar so this would be a bit of a learning process for me) and if I find they're too neutral, I could get some Novaks.

I'm still just not sure about the lace sensors, because it feels like I got a kind of weird combo that don't pair well together.
Rox

Post by Rox »

Protagonist wrote:I guess my thought is that if I try the original pickups they won't be quite as hot as the lace sensors, but at the same time they'll be less sterile. Maybe I'll see if I enjoy them (I've never rewired a guitar so this would be a bit of a learning process for me) and if I find they're too neutral, I could get some Novaks.

I'm still just not sure about the lace sensors, because it feels like I got a kind of weird combo that don't pair well together.
I've had them . I have Novaks in my one Mustang, had Lace in my other that I pulled our for a 69 bridge and 65 neck (great set up btw) done the Duncan Quarter Pounders, etc. What kind of sound are you looking for?

Oh, just reread your opening post. Sounds like whoever wired in your Lace Sensors screwed up. It happens . I was fighting the issue with one of my jags. Take it to a good Luthier and have them trouble shoot it. If you like them separate you'll most likely like them together.
Protagonist

Post by Protagonist »

Rox wrote: I've had them . I have Novaks in my one Mustang, had Lace in my other that I pulled our for a 69 bridge and 65 neck (great set up btw) done the Duncan Quarter Pounders, etc. What kind of sound are you looking for?

Oh, just reread your opening post. Sounds like whoever wired in your Lace Sensors screwed up. It happens . I was fighting the issue with one of my jags. Take it to a good Luthier and have them trouble shoot it. If you like them separate you'll most likely like them together.
Possible. I'm looking for a kind of versatile tone. Clean twinkly tapping (ala Midwestern emo), jangly indie rock, post-rock clean counterpoint, but also something that could handle shoegaze. I don't need super high gain though.

Right now I'm thinking about switching back to the stock pickups and seeing how I like them. They seem like a good neutral basis for pedals and the like.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

the 65RI pickups that you have already.

do they have grey bottoms ?
dots wrote:incesticide
Protagonist

Post by Protagonist »

robroe wrote:the 65RI pickups that you have already.

do they have grey bottoms ?
Yeah, a grey cloth-like bottom.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

'You know who else has a grey cloth-like bottom?'
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

......anyways.

put those in. they are awesome. my 65 was like the one guitar that i never tore apart because it sounded so good for like 4 years.

when i did finally turn it into a TangMasterII i kept those pickups still wired to the old pickguard so i could just resolder one wire and have it back to stock in like 5 minutes if i wanted to
dots wrote:incesticide
chemistforhire

Post by chemistforhire »

I have some dimarzio area 58 (neck) and 61(bridge) in mine. Good cleans and they handle gain well. I also have it wired for neck, bridge, both in parallel and both in series. No out phase sounds for me.