Best Quality Mustang?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

Speaking of one offs, I really like the all-black MG69 DP MH which has a 3-way switch, no slide switches, and two DiMarzio pickups. Hyde from L'Arc~en~Ciel always plays his and I love it.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Protagonist

Post by Protagonist »

This thread is a goldmine of information, thanks!

I'm currently trying to buy my first Mustang and I'm debating the merits of the beat to shit/stripped down finish vintage ones I seem to see for around 800-1000 and the used reissues that I see for around 600-800 (a lot of them have shipping from Japan which adds 100 to the cost). Can anyone steer me in the direction of what a good price I should be on the look out for is, or weighing those two options against each other?
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

Protagonist wrote:This thread is a goldmine of information, thanks!

I'm currently trying to buy my first Mustang and I'm debating the merits of the beat to shit/stripped down finish vintage ones I seem to see for around 800-1000 and the used reissues that I see for around 600-800 (a lot of them have shipping from Japan which adds 100 to the cost). Can anyone steer me in the direction of what a good price I should be on the look out for is, or weighing those two options against each other?
I bought a MIJ '65 Reissue (Classic Series, Daphne Blue) for 600 including shipping (from America) off Ebay in mint condition (minus the tiniest, tiniest of dings that you cant even see unless you look at it sideways in the light very intently)

I would look at around those prices!
Protagonist

Post by Protagonist »

VerdantGreen wrote: I bought a MIJ '65 Reissue (Classic Series, Daphne Blue) for 600 including shipping (from America) off Ebay in mint condition (minus the tiniest, tiniest of dings that you cant even see unless you look at it sideways in the light very intently)

That's certainly a "I'd buy it without thinking about it" price, but I haven't seen anything close to that that's not a 69. Then again, I haven't been searching too long yet.
VerdantGreen

Post by VerdantGreen »

Protagonist wrote:
VerdantGreen wrote: I bought a MIJ '65 Reissue (Classic Series, Daphne Blue) for 600 including shipping (from America) off Ebay in mint condition (minus the tiniest, tiniest of dings that you cant even see unless you look at it sideways in the light very intently)

That's certainly a "I'd buy it without thinking about it" price, but I haven't seen anything close to that that's not a 69. Then again, I haven't been searching too long yet.
My best advice (as hard as it is) is to just be patient. Scout Reverb and Ebay frequently when you have time to throughout the day and you'll find people desperate to sell their items. I wouldn't pay over 800 for a brand new '65 RI. I don't know much about the' '69 RI although I imagine they would be similar price or cheaper. The Kurt Cobain Mustang is very nice I have heard as well but that will be close to 900 or 1000.
Cymbaline

Post by Cymbaline »

Teh Kurdtz is extremely nice, but the Supersonic reigns supreme, beating the Jag and the Stang and the Jagstang at their own games.
Mad-Mike

Post by Mad-Mike »

robroe wrote:after you play guitars for a really long time they become less and less about the guitar and more and more about the neck.

the guitar can look like a giant dook, but put a nice slim C shaped neck on it with 7.25" radius , skinny frets, and ill play it all day

the gutiar part....you can replace EVERYTHING on it, pickups, pots, knobs, wires, bridge, paint, take a saw to it and give it contours if its fucking up your wrists.....but the neck....if you aren't in love with the neck then its going to be a wall decoration after 6 months
He's right on on this and the Jag-Stang's neck - that's a big reason my EMG'd 95' is still my #1 and has been since I was 17. Last night I was jamming with some pals, and at one point talking about gear during a break I I mentioned about how I started chasing shortscales and offsets from the start because of a 1992 guitar player interview with Kurt Cobain where he said "I like guitars in the Fender style because they have skinny necks." - that's where it all got started, being a 11 year old punk-ass kid with a boat-necked classical guitar I was learning on at the time.

I dunno about the sounds bad no matter what pickups, mine's my version of perfection sonically (EMG SA/81), but different strokes for different folks and I'm a weirdo anyway.

Back to the subject at hand....

I honestly don't like the VM Mustangs based upon the neck alone, the neck is too fat - it's fatter than the one on the Jaguar or Jazzmaster VM models, and for what basically was a student guitar, that's ridiculous. But I've noticed Fender has been making almost everything that had a skinny neck I loved too fat these days - the Affinities especially (why would you make a sub $150.00 guitar aimed at kids with a baseball bat for a neck!?!?).

Out of the options, my favorite is the 69' Reissue because of the neck profile and the fact it's vibrato can be used madman style like I typically use that vibrato for. If pickups are an issue, I can always throw in some hotter wound Mustang pickups or cram a set of EMG SAs in it with a Pi2 to get the out of phase sounds (basically an SS version of my Jag-Stang's wiring).
It's Me