Anyone have experience with this cheap power bank ?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Doog wrote:TBH, I've been using a Diago / Johnny Shredfreak (lol) power supplies for like 10 years with zero problems, .
Yep.
Doog wrote:aside from physical wear on the cables making things intermittent..
I bought a spare for that very reason.

The only thing that doesn't play well with it is the Digitech Whammy V, so I use the adapter that comes with it. Which is a bit annoying because one of the main reasons I upgraded from IV to V was so that I could daisy chain it.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

NickS wrote:The other fly in the ointment is the odd positive-earth pedal like the original PNP germanium fuzz face design, which needs an isolated or 9v negative output.
George wrote:It's a voltage/draw thing, my pedigree chum. The new delay I've got wants 12v positive centre, and the reverb can run up to 18v, so I want to give it a go
Yeah, apart from those scenarios obviously haha
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

NickS wrote:Not usually. Overvolts are the killer, not undervolts.
ok wonderful.. thanks
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Doog wrote:
timhulio wrote:They're crap. Will be noisy with some pedals, okay for most. As a general rule, look out for power bank type things with a chunky 'wall wart' transformer for a plug.
ie, DON'T get ones that use a wallwart, right? Rather than "look out for them and buy them"
Haha, yeah. Maybe "watch out for..." would have been better.

Those Johnny Shredfreak ones were small and worked a treat, but mine was lent out to a production company with a bunch of my pedals and didn't come back. They refunded me, but I'd rather a replacement supply. Last I looked you couldn't get them any more.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I'm going to stick my (unopened) spare under my bed and wait for them to get vintage status.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

You sent it to me as a present? Ah that's really sweet of you!
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

I'd quite like to get the Harley Benton powerplant jr. Unlike the big version, these are isolated.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ ... junior.htm
NickS

Post by NickS »

Looks like a good price, but EU plug, leading to the dilemma; do you (1) buy an adaptor, or (2) cut off the plug, replace it with a UK one and be unable to return it if it dies?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Thomann have supplied UK leads/adaptors FoC when I've bought stuff from them.

Not sure if that's always the case mind.

Edit: looks like you'll get one
review on Thomann wrote:As I'm in the UK, Thomann supplied a Schuko to UK adapter with it free of charge. This adapter is thomann robust and works very well.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
NickS

Post by NickS »

BearBoy wrote:
review on Thomann wrote:As I'm in the UK, Thomann supplied a Schuko to UK adapter with it free of charge. This adapter is thomann robust and works very well.
((thumup)
George

Post by George »

i splurged and bought a t-rex chameleon which should arrive today. this means i can run the 12v delay and run the reverb at 18v, and crucially, isolate the java boost (had no idea germanium treble boosters were so temperamental and noisy with other pedals - it's fantastic though, my new favourite pedal).
NickS

Post by NickS »

PNP germanium transistors used to be preferred for audio as they are lower noise/leakage than NPN germanium. This means germanium circuits tend to be positive earth, unlike most silicon-based circuitry which is usually negative earth; hence most germanium stuff needs to be on an isolated supply.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

George wrote:i splurged and bought a t-rex chameleon which should arrive today. this means i can run the 12v delay and run the reverb at 18v, and crucially, isolate the java boost (had no idea germanium treble boosters were so temperamental and noisy with other pedals - it's fantastic though, my new favourite pedal).
They also hate buffers; both my Clusterfuzz and MBM Harmonic Percolator get super nasty with a buffer in front.
George

Post by George »

hmm

is this chameleon properly isolated? treble booster is making a right stink when it's connected!