Roadie Tuner

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

NickS

Roadie Tuner

Post by NickS »

This keeps popping up in my sidebar:
http://www.roadietuner.com/
Clever idea, I guess combining clip-on-tuner technology with a power tuner. £84 isn't an impulse buy.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

As an idea it's pretty neat, but it's sort-of an extension of the issue I have with 'robot' tuning: it just looks like a needlessly complicated solution to a fairly simple problem (insert oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg here). Unless you break a string mid-set and need to fit a new one and tune it in a hurry I guess. If tuning your guitar is a long and difficult process, there's probably a more serious underlying problem: guitars that don't stay in tune are a pita, admittedly.

While I'm on a roll with my grumbling: is the TU-1000 a real thing, or Roland's idea of an April fool's joke? Sure, being in tune is strictly speaking more important than any other aspect of your rig, but that thing is literally half the size of my entire pedalboard! :shock:
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Lol, it needs an app?
NickS

Post by NickS »

Whut? I didn't get that far.
I'm not sure what the target market is. Is it actually for the roadie/guitar tech who's checking the tuning for the next guitar to be swapped on stage? Some pros e.g. Robert Cray swap between their two guitars every song. Is it just meant to be a robot tuner for a guitarist in which case you'd go the Gibson way because it will tune all six strings at once?
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

NickS wrote:Is it actually for the roadie/guitar tech who's checking the tuning for the next guitar to be swapped on stage? Some pros e.g. Robert Cray swap between their two guitars every song.
I never thought of it that way tbh. These ideas often seem like they're catering to lazy musicians, but if you're a roadie who's already busy with various things at the side of the stage, I can see how it could be a handy labour-saving device.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I don't think a roadie would use this. I can't see how it would me any more convenient for them than a pedal and a lead, as well as it being a lot less reliable.