What's up with Gibson Firebird prices?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

speedfish

What's up with Gibson Firebird prices?

Post by speedfish »

What's up with the Gibson Firebird? They usually list ~$1600-1700.00, but the 2016 T is listed for $1099.00. The 2014's are still listing for $1600.00, so what's up? I see that the 2016 T comes with a gigbag instead of case, but that can't explain the discrepancy.

check out this link with current prices:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Fire ... x134716933

:?
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Take it they realised their mistake that page ain't there no more...
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

you have to change your country to US or nothing will show up.

my guess is Gibson lowered the price because they discontinued the Firebird Studio.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

$1100 for a new firebird standard is not bad at all.
pumpkin
on the road to bantown

Post by pumpkin »

Two different 2016 Firebird models out this year.

"Firebird V 2016 T" List $1099 has gig bag

"Firebird V 2016 HP" List $1449 has aluminum "HP Hardshell Case" also has G FORCE and Titanium Adjustable Zero Fret.

Find both by flicking through here: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric ... 6/USA.aspx

2015 had 1 Firebird Model the...

"Firebird V 2015" list $2099 Has side jack, brass zero fret adjustable nut, titanium saddles, etc.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric ... ird-V.aspx

Why is the 2015 more than either 2016, fuck me if I know. In 2015 Gibson raised their prices, they lowered them again in 2016
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Gibson are just blowing out all the shite guitars they made over the last couple of years. They always do daft things with Firebirds (sidejacks, Firebird X, comically bad pickups across the range etc.). Think they're just clearing old stock with those regular Firebird Vs.

Also: I can't think of a guitar less sensible to put in a gigbag than a Firebird.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

love firebirds.. mini-humbuckers are rad
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
Chico Malo wrote:This thread just went down the toilet. Bye
iCEByTes wrote:Carrot´s and pussy party ((run))
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

...except that Firebird pickups aren't mini-humbuckers. Link.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

benecol wrote:...except that Firebird pickups aren't mini-humbuckers. Link.
hmm not sure why i thought they were.. but i'm sure i'm wrong
" The mini humbucker was first made available in several Gibson-made Epiphone models of the late 1960s, and the Les Paul Deluxe in 1969. Today, it is best known as the pickup in the Gibson Firebird,..."
Gibson
Gibson Firebird
Neck width: Historic 1 11/16" neck width
Nut: TekToid nut
Tuners: Steinberger Gearless tuning keys
Pickups: Traditional Firebird mini-humbuckers
Body: Original neck-through-body construction
Bridge: Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece
Finish: Nitro Vintage Sunburst finish
9 ply mahogany-walnut neck: Classic nine-ply mahogany-walnut neck construction
Inlays: Traditional trapezoid inlays
Comprehensive setup: Comprehensive hand-finished setup

ahh what do they know anyways
cur wrote:I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Firebird flame war...
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

😂😂😂😂 nah.. Since Gibson/epiphone invented the mini-humbucker and they call the firebird pickup "mini-humbucker", I'll go with Tim since he's so smart and always right.. 😂😂😂 it says mini-humbucker on the op link btw. Also describes them on every single page ever as - Pickups - firebird mini-humbuckers.. Doh I know there are variations on mini humbuckers blah blah. Gibson calls them firebird Mini humbuckers and I think they are rad. Johnny winter approves this.. I need to find a pic of my favorite leather wrapped firebird. Interesting story behind it as well. Let me find a link... Until then feel free to correct me and fact check the information above. It belonged to gatemouth brown and he lost it in the flood during Katrina and died shortly thereafter. I suck at posting pics from my phone so I'll do it later.. Carry on
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I think they're generally referred to as "mini-humbuckers" for convenience, and that's essentially what they are. I just think Benecol's point (possibly expressed in a slightly condescending way - sorry Tim, you know I love you) is that they aren't the same as a standard mini-humbucker (i.e. this bar magnet business rather than the standard PAF-derived design, not that I fully understand the nuances or owt) and therefore it can be useful to make a distinction.
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

Sure there are slight variances in pickups. It's not an exact science. Firebird "mini-humbuckers" uses rail magnets and the les Paul deluxe uses one single magnet but they are both mini-humbuckers. I like the firebird mini-humbuckers better, hence why I said I like them in a firebird thread. Gibson/epiphone can call them whatever they want since they invented them, and not Tim. I can't even count the different type of humbuckers they have now but they're all referred to as humbuckers. I wanted one in the neck of a tele and I told them I want a "firebird mini-humbucker" and surprisingly they knew exactly what I meant. 😉
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Ah, you can fuck off.

Mini-humbucker:

Firebird pickup:

Different internal construction, different appearance, different internal physics, different sound. Firebirds don't have mini-humbuckers in them, they have Firebird pickups in them. It's a misconception up there with "Jazzmasters have P90s in them". Gibson have proved they know fuck-all about their own product by virtue of the dogshit pickups they put in the reissues anyhow.
George

Post by George »

brandonwinmill wrote:
benecol wrote:...except that Firebird pickups aren't mini-humbuckers. Link.
hmm not sure why i thought they were.. but i'm sure i'm wrong
" The mini humbucker was first made available in several Gibson-made Epiphone models of the late 1960s, and the Les Paul Deluxe in 1969. Today, it is best known as the pickup in the Gibson Firebird,..."
Gibson
Gibson Firebird
Neck width: Historic 1 11/16" neck width
Nut: TekToid nut
Tuners: Steinberger Gearless tuning keys
Pickups: Traditional Firebird mini-humbuckers
Body: Original neck-through-body construction
Bridge: Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece
Finish: Nitro Vintage Sunburst finish
9 ply mahogany-walnut neck: Classic nine-ply mahogany-walnut neck construction
Inlays: Traditional trapezoid inlays
Comprehensive setup: Comprehensive hand-finished setup

ahh what do they know anyways
i've underlined an important semantic difference. see they are called "traditional firebird mini-humbuckers" not "gibson mini-humbuckers" as regular ones are listed in their store. they even talk about the difference on their website in some detail: http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Fe ... -Them.aspx

and either way gibson are allowed to call these pickups whatever they want. it doesn't change the fact they are not typical mini-hums, as tim irightly pointed out, or that gibson may in fact be wrong about this. having thought about it it sounds like they are "half right" in distinguishing between firebird and regular mini-humbuckers, but half wrong in that firebird pups are not actually humbucker construction as we typically understand them
Last edited by George on Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

gibson is always the wrong decision
the wrong decision is always gibson
dots wrote:incesticide
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

you two are hilarious

traditional firebird mini-humbuckers is mini-humbuckers, silly. I never said they were the same as in other gibson/epiphone guitars.. i said i like the mini-humbuckers in the firebird, which in fact they are, a type of mini-humbucker. Try and stay with me guys. I can slow it down if it helps..
George

Post by George »

im actually meeting you both in the middle on this lol

but yeah if there's a slow enough setting where you stop posting altogether i'm all for it
Brandon W

Post by Brandon W »

sure no problem. sorry to be an inconvenience
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

brandonwinmill wrote:Try and stay with me guys. I can slow it down if it helps..
Maybe post a:
benecol wrote:Link.
Followed by a pictorial guide?
benecol wrote:Mini-humbucker:

Firebird pickup: