Tascam DR05

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

Jagtornado

Tascam DR05

Post by Jagtornado »

Hi guys,

I have bought a tascam DR-05 field recorder/WAV/MP3 player recorder. I have have bought it to record small concerts, and to record old cassette tapes of the past. The device also has a microphone in port which you also can use as a line in.
Later I want to transfer it to my computer and burn it on a cd.

My question is: what is the best resolution to record with so it is suitable for all purposes, like burning on a cd, to use the recording on another MP3 player and so on.
You can record in MP 3 format but also in WAV in the following resolutions: 44.1 Khz 16 bit and 24 bit, 48 Khz 16 bit and 24 bit and also 96 Khz 16 bit and 24 bit

Please help me out
Last edited by Jagtornado on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

16bit / 44.1 kHz is CD quality. 48 kHz is generally used for video soundtracks rather than music iirc. 24 bit / 96khz is the best sound quality but will take up more storage space and would then need to be down converted to 16/44.1 when you burned anything to a CD.

I tend to record in 24bit / 44.1 kHz but tbh I can't remember exactly why I settled on that (quite possibly asked on here though :) ).

Hopefully someone else can give you a more useful answer ;)

Edit: oh, and whichever resolution you use, you will be able to create an MP3 or AAC compressed version for use on portable players/phones etc.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

44.1 kHz and 24 bit is solid. However, I'd even recommend recording in 44.1/16 for ease of use.

Sample rate: Recording at 48 kHz doesn't provide any tremendous advantages. Recording at 44.1 saves you the trouble of having to covert later.

Bit depth: Generally, a higher number is better. Recording at 24 bit will offer certain advantages when mixing, including more headroom. Do a quick Google search on the topic or read this article. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun08/a ... 0608_2.htm

If you record in 24 bit, you'll have to dither (add white noise) to the mix when you convert down to CD or MP3 quality files.

Personally, I start a lot of recordings in 16 bit on my iPad. I stick with 16 bit all the way through the recording process. I don't have to remember to convert or dither later. Still sounds good to me, but most people choose 24 bit whenever available.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

Thanks for the advice so far. I am starting to get the picture.