Bass simulator pedal for electric guitar

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Jagtornado

Bass simulator pedal for electric guitar

Post by Jagtornado »

Heloo guys,

Is there any bass simulator pedal around for electric guitar?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Nope.
Zack

Post by Zack »

You could experiment with octave down effects, like the ehx micro pog or something off a digitech whammy (some of the xp versions have octave down effects) but it's really not going to be the same as an actual bass guitar. Some of the effects might not track well enough to your liking, or only trigger on lower strings.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

There is this device and I think it's called a Pocket Pussy but I think that might stimulate your bass player too much.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

An EHX Micro POG or Nano POG will get you some of the way there. The tracking is rock solid but it won't make your guitar sound exactly like a bass.

My Boss BR-1180CD has a built in bass simulator. The effects in it were, I think, based on one their multi-effect units so it might be worth checking those to see if any of them have something similar. The effect was pretty good but the tracking wasn't as solid as one of the POG pedals so I found you had to be really accurate with your playing otherwise you would get some glitches.

Honestly though, I eventually gave in and bought a bass for my home recording and now get much better sounds than I did with octavers/pitch shifters/effects etc.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

A Micro POG and an EQ pedal is your best bet, outside of a MIDI/samples approach.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Roland VG99 maybe.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Surprised, given their penchant for releasing organ/keyboard/sitar simulators every few weeks, that EHX haven't brought out a proper bass sim pedal yet. Surely only a matter of time. They'd just need to bundle the POG innards with some EQ and maybe some compression and drive etc.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Nick wrote:Roland VG99 maybe.
Or that new Boss SY-300 synth (don't think that needs any special pick ups). Pricey though. Could easily buy a nice bass for that sort of money.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

The OC-2 has horrible tracking, but if you're playing the guitar one note at a time it's the fattest thing you'll get on its own that will sound remotely like a bass in general frequency response. Fusion dudes on both bass and guitar love it, the effect having a huge, sine-wave like roundness with a touch of ring-modulated upper end.

Unassisted, a POG will make you sound like you're playing a clanging clavinet of sorts, but more power to you if you're in a Stevie Wonder band doing Superstitious or filtering it out like mad on Higher Ground.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

You could always put bass strings on your guitar, that should work.
Jagtornado

Post by Jagtornado »

That is a good idea, and if the neck will warp enough because of the enourmous pressure of the bass string you can use it as a bow
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

George.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

Jagtornado wrote:That is a good idea, and if the neck will warp enough because of the enourmous pressure of the bass string you can use it as a bow
You could play slide bass, that would be cool.