Sovtek V7D Big Muff vs. Op Amp V5 Big Muff

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

cobascis

Sovtek V7D Big Muff vs. Op Amp V5 Big Muff

Post by cobascis »

Made a comparison vid between what I think are the two most appealing big muff circuits. The black russian muff is one of the ones in the large enclosures and the same circuit as a bubble font muff. The other is a v5 op amp muff. Probably have to sell the russian muff, so I thought I'd do a comparison video.

[youtube][/youtube]
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Russian one sounds much better by a mile. US one sounds thin. I think the tall black one is the same circuit as the green one.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Both sound cool, but certainly different. The op amp version has this stodgy, saturated midrange (I refer to it as 'syrupy'), which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you're using it for. The Russian sounds a little less saturated, but has a nice open-sounding bottom end. I can see why those ones are popular with bassists. I'll have to get one sometime.

TBH though I expect to collect a clone of all the muff versions, because they sound so different depending on the situation or amp you're using.
HNB

Post by HNB »

Could do what I have?

Image20150703_103435 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr

Although my pedal is a violet rams head on one side and russian on the other. I do have the op amp one as a seperate pedal and a more modern one with the tone circuit modded. Muffs have such a variety it is hard to just pick one.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

The Black Russian is my muff of choice
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Opinion is divided on the matter but I find the current Bass Big Muffs to be a great middle ground between the green and black sovteks through my Marshall.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
cobascis

Post by cobascis »

Fakir Mustache wrote:Russian one sounds much better by a mile. US one sounds thin. I think the tall black one is the same circuit as the green one.
Correct, though this is a black russian muff, it shares the internals of the bubble font green sovtek. The v8s have a different circuit and smaller black enclosure.