Cheap retro-style acoustic guitar

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Golden_Sonic

Cheap retro-style acoustic guitar

Post by Golden_Sonic »

Does exist an cheap acoustic guitar with vintage look (and maybe a trapeze tailpiece)? Something like the new Recording King Dirty 30's series but cheaper
-Guitar: Squier VM Mustang, Squier CV '50 Duo Sonic;
-Amplifier: Hughes&Kettner Blue Edition 60;
-FXs: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 Wah, Boss BD-2 Blues Drive, Proco RAT, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, EH Small Clone, MUZA FD900, Bespeco Volume pedal.
DanHeron

Post by DanHeron »

Those little Gretsch acoustics are pretty cool looking. Kind of have that retro/vintage style - http://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_g9500_ ... at_top.htm
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Maybe check out the EKO range?
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Thomas wrote:Maybe check out the EKO range?
^this...

I got a 1960s Eko Fiesta for £20 on ebay (currently on loan to my sister in-law), cause most folk don't know what they're misssing.

But I am a bit of an Eko head, I also have an Eko Colorado (that's on long term loan to my brother in-law), and a Ranger Vi that's my favourite acoustic of all time.
XY
Zack

Post by Zack »

Eko sounds like a good bet. There are a few Harmony guitars out there that are usually on the cheaper scale on Ebay, though I'm looking at stuff in the states and might not be what you're looking for price wise. The Stella by Harmony comes to mind, they've got the same fretboard inlays and most I've seen have archtop style tailpieces.
Golden_Sonic

Post by Golden_Sonic »

Wow! So many people that know a made in Italy brand, I'm impressed. Anyway yes, I'm checking some vintage Eko, their price is low and the yield is high: I've already seen a vintage Eko Ranger VI with pickup and volume&tone controls or some Eko 100. I like the 100 and it's the kind of guitar I was thinking, even if it seems an archtop rather than an acoustic and, forgive me, I don't know if an archtop sounds like an acoustic guitar (they're both "hollow" but...)
Some pics:
EKO RANGER VI

EKO 100
-Guitar: Squier VM Mustang, Squier CV '50 Duo Sonic;
-Amplifier: Hughes&Kettner Blue Edition 60;
-FXs: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95 Wah, Boss BD-2 Blues Drive, Proco RAT, Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo, EH Small Clone, MUZA FD900, Bespeco Volume pedal.
Addam

Post by Addam »

I've never played an Eko, I've read somewhere that the wood is thicker than average acoustic guitars they're heavy and sound a bit crap.
Though I'm drawn to them due to the bolt on neck (shimmable) and height adjustable bridge.
I've owned a few cheap crappy acoustic guitars with set necks and all of them have/had hideously high action.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

DanHeron wrote:Those little Gretsch acoustics are pretty cool looking. Kind of have that retro/vintage style - http://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_g9500_ ... at_top.htm
I've been eyeing these up lately. Something to fiddle with, sick of those boomy dreadnought acoustics.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

You sometimes get the odd Framus on ebay. I tried a few and they are pretty nice sounding, but tend to be a tad overpriced if it's a nice one
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Addam wrote:I've never played an Eko, I've read somewhere that the wood is thicker than average acoustic guitars they're heavy and sound a bit crap.
Though I'm drawn to them due to the bolt on neck (shimmable) and height adjustable bridge.
I've owned a few cheap crappy acoustic guitars with set necks and all of them have/had hideously high action.
Were good enough for Jimmy Page...
XY