Danelectro DC59s and the like

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I'm finding Doog's guitar lust thread very enjoyable.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

jcyphe wrote:I'm finding Doog's guitar lust thread very enjoyable.
Me too! I'm having heaps of fun just seeking out new brands and models, I'll probably just pack-in playing and just do this from now on
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Fran wrote:They have those in my local shop, look decent but I haven't played one.
Ooooh, can you please try it out for me, Franno?

Be my haaaaaaaaaaaaands

Curious to know what the single-coily sounds are like.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Doog wrote:
Fran wrote:They have those in my local shop, look decent but I haven't played one.

Be my haaaaaaaaaaaaands

Aye, I'll try to call in over the weekend :wink:

He stocks Alden as well and I was very impressed with them. Still tempted on the fully hollow archtop he has in.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Doog wrote: Me too! I'm having heaps of fun just seeking out new brands and models, I'll probably just pack-in playing and just do this from now on
:lol:
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
cur

Post by cur »

[youtube][/youtube]
So many cool guitars, but this one is maybe the one I would hunt down.

HNB

Post by HNB »

timhulio wrote:Did HNB just complain the pickguard is made of formica? That's kinda the point - it's not like other guitars in construction. If you approach them only having played conventional solidbodies then of course they're gonna feel different.
I did because it looked like cardboard. LOL Not my cup of tea I guess?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

cur wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
So many cool guitars, but this one is maybe the one I would hunt down.
What a beaut, reminds me of Ry Cooder's cheetah-y Strat, natty stuff.

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I really quite like those Recording Les Paul jobbies.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Doog wrote:

Be my haaaaaaaaaaaaands

Dooooooooooooog....

First impression, it's super heavy, like Acrylic Guitar kind of weight.
Looks well made, nice finish, the bigsby works fine but felt a bit loose/cheap, the machine heads are The locking type Grover copies.
It played like the usual out-of-the-box import guitar, not bad but not exactly inspiring either. Judging by the build quality it will be a different beast with a good set up.

The pups are quite meaty, more like P90's to my ears and there are some interesting 'hollow' sounds with the phase switching. Quite versatile in many ways, I can see why it would be useful in a recording situation.

The guy in the shop said he could match hotrox prices and he said the brand are releasing more interesting stuff soon. They are made by the Burns people at the same factory apparently.

Some pics...
โ–บ Show Spoiler
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Awesome, thanks so much Fran, I really appreciate it. :D

Sounds like it could be a cheeky little option in the future, but not one for lugging around to gigs, especially if it's not copying anything Tele-ish.
Addam

Post by Addam »

I can't quite put my finger on it, but to my eyes that looks fatter than a LP.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Dat chunky lower horn
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

No, that model (or the original model it's based on) has a wider body, I remember seeing that in a book that lists the widths.

In fact you should be able to find that info on the net in particular if you track down old catalogs. Gibson didn't keep body widths secret as they do now.

Actually here, 14" wide:
http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1970_Les_Paul_5.php

Also check this thread, someone wrote that the original Recordings (different model) were originally 13.5 wide:
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?187868-Anyone-here-purchase-the-new-Les-Paul-Recording-II

Possibly those Revelations are not 14" though, I don't know.
NickD wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesnโ€™t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Fran wrote:They are made by the Burns people at the same factory apparently.

Some pics...
โ–บ Show Spoiler
Not quite. The pickups are designed and made by Alan Entwistle, who also makes the Burns pickups (from conversations with him I suspect he's a bit more involved in Burns now, possibly making design suggestions and the like). The actual Revelation guitars are made in the same factory as Alden/Hutchins models as far as I know.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Also, those pickups really are meant to be pretty good copies of the original Gibson low impedance ones, they're not just generic Chinese pickups in a fancy shell.

I've had the bigsby model on my list for a while but I hadn't realised the hard tail was so cheap... I wish the mahogany colour came with the bigsby though.

I'm probably going to be getting either this, the solidbody Gretsch electromatic or the three-pickup electromatic hollowbody in the next month or so.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

ekwatts wrote:
Fran wrote:They are made by the Burns people at the same factory apparently.

Some pics...
โ–บ Show Spoiler
Not quite. The pickups are designed and made by Alan Entwistle, who also makes the Burns pickups (from conversations with him I suspect he's a bit more involved in Burns now, possibly making design suggestions and the like). The actual Revelation guitars are made in the same factory as Alden/Hutchins models as far as I know.
I thought they had connections with Alden, all the evidence is there when you pick both brands up, but he said Burns. Dunno Eric.
Alden actually feel better though imo. The full hollow body I tried with the Toaster pups was one of those guitars I wanted to instantly buy there and then.

Entwistle Pups seem to be a selling point as there are tags on these stating what they are. I was quite impressed with the Entwistle models in the Tanglewood Les Pauls a few years back, they dont look anything special and have daft names but always seem to have a great tonal range.
George

Post by George »

I think it's getting to the point where should consider buying a tele bridge and used warmoth neck then doing a project

or just modding a flat top solid body for a tele bridge
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Presuming the missing word there was 'Doog', I don't wanna just buy or make another Tele. Just want something that can get me in the ballpark, in the same way a Strat can, but something a bit special too.

Not really keen on doing a project, this is way too much fun.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »