Original Color?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Doxastic

Original Color?

Post by Doxastic »

Does anyone know if this is an original Fender color? The seller doesn't seem to know much about it... but I didn't think Fender did Mustangs in orange sparkles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Fender-Mus ... 1e982a87f3
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Nah that's not original paint. Real sloppy job too, you can see obvious drip on the upper horn.
Zack

Post by Zack »

Gonna go with refin, neck pocket has some daphne or sonic lookin blue.

I don't see the drip, but I see a lot of cracks in the finish.
cur

Post by cur »

I love that type of metallic orange because it reminds me of the orange metal flake on my first motorcycle, a 1972 Yamaha TX750. I wouldn't spend that much for that guitar, even if I loved it.

George

Post by George »

Pretty sure original sparkle finishes from the 60s usually have a standard finish, or evidence of other paint, underneath. That's just how Fender did custom sparkle jobs.

Also that looks like two indents, not a drip, and cracking like that is fairly expected on a well used 60s fender.
Doxastic

Post by Doxastic »

George wrote:Pretty sure original sparkle finishes from the 60s usually have a standard finish, or evidence of other paint, underneath. That's just how Fender did custom sparkle jobs.

Also that looks like two indents, not a drip, and cracking like that is fairly expected on a well used 60s fender.
So there's no real way of knowing because even if it were original, it'd be a custom job.

And yeah, I can't tell if those are drips or weather checking
George

Post by George »

someone else like James may be better able to explain this, and how to accurately determine if it is real, but yeah, all sparkles and rare colours from that era were custom jobs by request, but are fender finishes nonetheless.

to me it is very clearly cracking and not drips, and the depth, evenness and quality of the sparkle looks legit. the guy even say it's checking. and also, this is pure conjecture on my part, but i don't think a craftsman who can get as good a sparkle as that is going to fuck it all up at the last minute and leave drips all over the top coat.
Last edited by George on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The ones behind the bridge are checking sure, but that top horn still looks drip to me. I'd have to see it in person to be sure.
George

Post by George »

looks like 2 big dents to me. hang on, im gonna ms paint this up
George

Post by George »

in my humble opinion, dent 1 and the the small piece of checking, mixed with the reflection of the strip light above it is causing an optical illusion of a big fat drip. dent 2 is just fucking crazy, not much else to be said about that.

ImageImage
Zack

Post by Zack »

I also assumed that it was the light causing photo distortion because on other images it looked relatively smooth. That being said, I can't really tell without seeing it in person.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

that is some bass boat shit
dots wrote:incesticide
cur

Post by cur »

George wrote:in my humble opinion, dent 1 and the the small piece of checking, mixed with the reflection of the strip light above it is causing an optical illusion of a big fat drip. dent 2 is just fucking crazy, not much else to be said about that.

ImageImage
Thread just went internet awesome. Isn't their some paid geek at Fender that you can email and ask?

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

DENT 2 FUCKING CRAZY
dots wrote:incesticide
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Dents like that would show at least a little of the paint underneath. As it is you can't see any daphne blue outside of the neck pocket.

I'm going with 'dent 2' is a real dent that wasn't filled before a refinish. 'Dent 1' over to the bit marked checking is actually a paint drip from too heavy of a coat being sprayed from an aerosol.

Still a cool looking guitar but almost certainly a refin.
Shabba.
George

Post by George »

Good point about dent 2. Having said the a high res photo of the area may show some cracking and stuff

Would be good to see a better hi res photo of the area now I think. I'm really curious whether it's a drip or not. I'm still banking on my assumption that it isn't.
George

Post by George »

new angle

all accountable as being a dent and checking imo; the illusion is no longer visible now the strip light is in a different place, and dent 1 looks like a dent. you are still possibly right about the issue of no paint showing through the dents, but we'd need better photos to say for sure. Dent 1 looks like it has cracking around it at least

ImageImage
Doxastic

Post by Doxastic »

I called Fender but they directed me to Gruhn Guitars.... saying they're more knowledgeable in vintage. Yes, you read that right. A guitar shop in Nashville knows more about Fender than Fender.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I wouldn't doubt it, George knows a lot about various types of fretted instruments.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

The shape of the upper horn doesn't look right to me.