Coronado 2 Bass Neck Doesn't Work With a Mustang Body

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Tombo17

Coronado 2 Bass Neck Doesn't Work With a Mustang Body

Post by Tombo17 »

Hello! This is my first post on shortscale.org.

I picked up a really nice Coronado 2 bass neck off of Reverb.com. The seller said that it would work with a Mustang/Musicmaster body. So, I found a Mustang bass body, bought it, and when I put the 2 parts together, I really don't think it's going to intonate at all. I measured from the nut to the middle of the 12th fret and it was 14.5 inches and the measurement to the bridge puts 14.5 inches somewhere between the pick guard and the bridge.

And when I line up the screw holes for the mounting plate, there is a 3/4 - 1 inch gap between the neck and the body.

Is this salvageable or should I sell off these parts? I'm really not an experienced builder (obviously) and need some advice.

Thank you and have a Gear New Year!

-Tom
Zack

Post by Zack »

Both the mustang and coronado ii basses are 30" scale length to my knowledge. When you say you measured from the nut to the middle of the 12th fret, do you mean on the fretboard or the fret itself, the latter is what you should do if I recall correctly. It sounds like you're only an inch off from meeting that scale length, so I'd say it's worth getting as close to 30" as you can, toss on some old strings and go through the test stages.

Most likely the coronado body had the neck mounted differently than the mustang, and that's why when you line up the holes there's that gap. If you put the neck flush with the body, can you get a 30" measurement from nut to bridge?

Welcome to shortscale!
Tombo17

Post by Tombo17 »

Thanks for the welcome and reply, Goots!

Yes, they are both 30" scale, but, and this is where I should have done my homework, the Coronado has 21 frets and a Mustang has 19 frets.

I measured to the middle of the 12th fret on the fretboard. I'll play around with it some more and see what happens.

Thanks again.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

Post by serfx »

Tombo17 wrote:Thanks for the welcome and reply, Goots!

Yes, they are both 30" scale, but, and this is where I should have done my homework, the Coronado has 21 frets and a Mustang has 19 frets.

I measured to the middle of the 12th fret on the fretboard. I'll play around with it some more and see what happens.

Thanks again.
when measuring, measure from the middle of the nut to the middle of the fret wire, then fret wire to bridge.
should help to bring that number to what you're after.

you'll have to fill the holes and re-drill on the back of the neck to have it work with the body (as stated above, set the neck in flush to the body esp for the measurement.

good luck, should be a fun little project, post some pictures when you get a chance.

and always ask questions if you are uncertain, who wealth of mostly useful information can be found here.

welcome to the forum
Tombo17

Post by Tombo17 »

Hi, Serfx. Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the help! Yeah, I think I'll have to re-drill some holes on the neck. My next problem is looking for tuners that will fit the Coronado neck. I heard that Mustang tuners will work?

I'm looking forward to this project and just need to get these preliminaries out of the way :) I'll definitely post pix.