The one that got away: should I?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

mixtape

The one that got away: should I?

Post by mixtape »

I played around on an Intermark Cipher a few months back at the Chicago Music Exchange and fell in love, but my employment situation at the time was such that I could not responsibly think of buying it. Naturally, by the time I did get a real job, it was gone. But here's another one. I may or may not get over that residual feeling of irresponsibility in time to bid; it's pretty well conditioned by now. But if I do, should I be put off by that finish crack, which the seller assures me is not a wood crack?
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Do it, life's too short.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Bah. Got outbid. The hunt continues.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

mixtape wrote:Bah. Got outbid. The hunt continues.
Bummer isn't it. I missed out on a chair like this by a small margin

Man I was bummed. But I was already into it for more than I was really able/willing to pay. Ebay is simultaneously the best and worst thing ever to happen to the consumer market.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Thanks. I've been watching that one, but I'm still trying to decide whether I should hold out for a less butchered one with the original switches. At the end of the day I'm a player and not a collector, and it's a decent looking fix, but... mojo. I dunno, now that I've got Intermarks on the brain again I might just do it.
Rox

Post by Rox »

Dude, just find one and buy it. They're cheap enough .
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Point taken. Boughted.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Snap.
NickS

Post by NickS »

mixtape wrote:Point taken. Boughted.
((nopics))
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

NickS wrote:((nopics))

It hasn't even shipped yet. Here are a couple from the original listing, though.

NickS

Post by NickS »

Ah, right, I should have thought of that. I checked the listing and read the description; as you say, butchered a bit but it's for playing. Are you planning to put a roller bridge on it?

I have a cracked-neck-and-butchered Eko Cobra that has a Tune-o-matic style bridge so they did put them on some budget guitars back in the 60s.
cur

Post by cur »

Looks like there were susposed to be two toggle switches where the sliders are patched in. I see the switches on ebay every now and then. Maybe someone here has some. You should unscrew the switches that are on the makeshift plate and see what it looks like underneath. They may have done it without putting holes in the guard. If you ever want to get it back to original and get some toggles to put in it let me know and I will help you out with a new pickguard if it is necessary. I have a soft spot for intermark ciphers. especially the one with the blood drop pickguard.

Doxastic

Post by Doxastic »

Whoa... what the hell am I looking at?
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Doxastic wrote:Whoa... what the hell am I looking at?
Beauty itself.

That's awesome of you, cur. The seller explained in the listing that they patched it up the best they could with the slide switches after some clown routed it for a Tele switch. I'll open it up and post some pics once I get it to see if it's salvageable. I'd love to see the stock switches back in there someday. A new guard would probably cover a multitude of sins.

No plans for the bridge yet. I'll play it for a while with the TOM first and see how I get on with it.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

► Show Spoiler
That's a cool looking guitar, very nice. I like the look of the sliders to the switches I'd leave it as is.
XY