Cheeky Neck break Repair?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

JJLipton

Cheeky Neck break Repair?

Post by JJLipton »

So there's a guy selling a les paul with mysterious discolouration on the back of the neck. Does this look like a neck repair to you?Image

If so, i think it's a bit immoral for him to be asking the price he's asking for it.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

That looks like over-spray which could be the sign of a neck repair.

There's a Les Paul Custom that I have to sell, that I know had a neck repair and it's really hard to tell. If it didn't have the documentation I would have never noticed. You have to disclose that, super shady not to.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
cur

Post by cur »

Maybe shine from overhead lighting.

Dillon

Post by Dillon »

Looks like some sort of repair, yeah. Seems more like sanding marks, a poor color match, sawdust filled cracks, or some combination of all of the above. Ask for some better pictures before buying?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Cloudy spot looks like filler to me.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

There's a thin dark straight line closer to the headlock that looks like it might be the break. That light circular spot behind it may be filler from where the wood chipped at the break.

I'm no expert, so take that about the same as that time Courtney Love thought she found the missing plane.
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

Thanks you guys are lifesavers. This is some Guitar CSI stuff. He claims there may have been a repair in the past but wants $1500 for the guitar. Noooo thank you.
Rox

Post by Rox »

It's not a repair. Either wood color or finish.
Chris Fleming

Post by Chris Fleming »

I've seen that in mahogany where the grain disapears in patches like this. Not sure it's a repair?
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I don't think those pictures prove anything, need more pics.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

The year would have some bearing on value. If a repair, it's a pretty clean job.
Yell Like Hell
61fury

Post by 61fury »

I've read that repaired ones are better because they are stronger than the original neck/headstock merge
paul_

Post by paul_ »

61fury wrote:I've read that repaired ones are better because they are stronger than the original neck/headstock merge
They're stronger, and just that. They can have less sustain/different resonant properties after a headstock break, whether that makes it better/same/worse depends entirely on the severity of the break, the quality of the repair and the personal taste of the player... but not to get too wishy-washy here, the main [inarguable] thing is they lose a decent chunk of their value (major wood repair + refinish) and unbroken higher-end Gibsons hold their value well, so it's important for a headstock break to be fully disclosed in a sale, it's hundreds of dollars worth a difference.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
61fury

Post by 61fury »

not sure I believe in sustain, not with an amp anyway
71Smallbox

Post by 71Smallbox »

That just looks like mahogany grain differences that can appear naturally. You should also note that the finish on the neck is nitro, meaning it can react to hand sweat from playing which could result in that discoloration.