Memory man like tones on a budget

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Reece

Memory man like tones on a budget

Post by Reece »

So my friend tried my stereo memory man with hazarai and I think I got him hooked on looped droney reverse reverb goodness. The price tag of a new one is a bit steep for him, is there a pedal (or couple of pedals) I could recommend him? He wants a looper too.

Might just tell him to keep his eye on ebay but I thought I'd ask.
moogmusic

Post by moogmusic »

I just bought a Zoom G3 - it can probably do all that and I picked mine up for £62 delivered off of da 'Bay.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I know there are copies of the DMM on the market, but I think you need the name brand if you want the hazarai. I found my SMMH on eBay for about $160.

Out of curiosity, what sort of settings are you using for reverse reverb?

Edit: just checked out the zoom G3 and it does have reverse delay, mod delay, and multitap. That being said, it is quite the multi-purpose box rather than a designated delay. Not sure how it would stack up again the SMMH in terms of "tone."
Last edited by singlepup on Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reece

Post by Reece »

singlepickup24 wrote:I know there are copies of the DMM on the market, but I think you need the nane brand if you want the hazarai. I found my SMMH on eBay for about $160.

Out of curiosity, what sort of settings are you using for reverse reverb?
I've had it set as a present for so long that I can't remember what the exact settings are, but something like this:

Blend: all the way up
Decay: all the way up
Filter: midnight
Repeats: 2 o'clock
Delay: just before midnight

I'll let him know about the zoom G3
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Is the Zoom MS-50G cheaper?

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-50g
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Delay is what the Zoom G3 does best. I would thoroughly recommend it, the looper is great on it too!
Ro S

Post by Ro S »

The Behringer Time Machine is an obvious candidate I s'pose, as it's a knock-off of the old-style DMM. It's a genuine analogue delay.

The NUX Time Core pedal can be had dead cheap on ebay new. It's a multi-mode digital delay pedal with a looper mode. I dunno how good it sounds though.
21st-century schizoid man with too many pedals

'Effects for Me & my Monkey'
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
Online Store: http://effectsformemymonkey.bigcartel.com/
Official distributor, Sharptone FX
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Ro S wrote:The Behringer Time Machine is an obvious candidate I s'pose, as it's a knock-off of the old-style DMM. It's a genuine analogue delay.
NOT USEFUL WITHOUT A TRUE BYPASS LOOPBOX.

It has the worst bypass I HAVE EVER.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

The G3 is great and would definitely suffice (current firmware upgrade a must for more MOAR of added simultaneous effects), but like any Zoom product you should be ready for some considerable knob dialing to get what you need. Of course, the fact that so many of them are up on the used market at any given moment makes them all the more attractive.

ekwatts wrote:Is the Zoom MS-50G cheaper?

Actually, I think the MS-70CDR would totally fit the bill, and a good number of presets are totally in the sonic ballpark of us clueless modulated-delay-hungry sneakerpeekers.

[youtube][/youtube]
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Ooh, that's nice. I didn't even know they'd done different versions of the MS.
moogmusic

Post by moogmusic »

ekwatts wrote:Is the Zoom MS-50G cheaper?

Probably but the MS pedals don't have a looper I don't think.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

It does, as the pedals it emulates have loopers. But it isn't as intuitive as it would be to use those pedals themselves. But it can still be done.
moogmusic

Post by moogmusic »

ekwatts wrote:It does, as the pedals it emulates have loopers. But it isn't as intuitive as it would be to use those pedals themselves. But it can still be done.
Interesting...
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

It models the Electro Harmonix stuff, some Boss pedals and even a MoogerFooger (the low pass filter, I think).

It even adds features to some pedals that they didn't originally have, like trails on most of the delays. I love trails.
hugh

Post by hugh »

theshadowofseattle wrote:
Ro S wrote:The Behringer Time Machine is an obvious candidate I s'pose, as it's a knock-off of the old-style DMM. It's a genuine analogue delay.

True. Bypass sounds dildos.

The Hardwire DL-8 looks pretty solid. Has a looper, wet only reverse. Like $150 new. Has a looper, but no fx on the loops. The TC electronic ditto is a cheap looper that's idiot proof. Marshall Refelctor does reverse reverb that sounds pretty sweet. Old pedals that are sometimes cheap. [youtube][/youtube]
\m/ (^_^) \m/
paul_

Post by paul_ »

theshadowofseattle wrote:

Not my experience with the VTM, though it was like that with with the Vintage Distortion Muff knock-off. I really liked the Time Machine, the only reason I don't use it so much is because it's massive and I have an Akai Headrush and Polychorus on my board so I'm not missing anything. Definitely good delay on a budget.
Last edited by paul_ on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

I can still hear the effect even when it's turned off. I didn't have anywhere near that kind of bypass trouble with the VD-1.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

The VD-1 cuts all high end from my bypassed sound, the Time Machine does not and I can't really hear it's wobbles either. Maybe this is just a Behringer QC thing, but the switches on both pedals are flimsy and the breakout IC connector boards are confusing as fuck.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

wild trew. I'd have trew bypassed em both if the switch wasn't mounted on a PCB and the spring from a bigsby.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

Didn't cobascis true bypass his? I faintly recall that being how I found shortscale, from his video of the VD-1.

EDIT: Yep, here's his video and then the thread that lead me here:

[youtube][/youtube]

Personally, I just put a buffered pedal before it and the high end loss is all gone 8)
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)