Micro-Pog and Supermoon Chrome, too fucking pretty

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Freethenoise

Micro-Pog and Supermoon Chrome, too fucking pretty

Post by Freethenoise »

Stacked these couple of pedals, got some nice post-rock tonez.

Are there any octave generators that track better than the Pogs? The Organiser was a bit of a disappointment in terms of tracking.

[youtube][/youtube]
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Re: Micro-Pog and Supermoon Chrome, too fucking pretty

Post by ekwatts »

Freethenoise wrote:Are there any octave generators that track better than the Pogs?
Possibly, but it's going to be some pretty obscure shit or ludicrously expensive. Kind of the major selling point of the Pogs was that nothing tracked better than them and as far as I'm aware that's still pretty much the case.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yeah, it's pretty much in a league of its own regarding polyphonic octaving; without that annoying wobble that plagues the rest of the competition.

ZCAT do some nice stuff, but again; teh WOBBLEZ

[youtube][/youtube]
Freethenoise

Post by Freethenoise »

Doog wrote:Yeah, it's pretty much in a league of its own regarding polyphonic octaving; without that annoying wobble that plagues the rest of the competition.

ZCAT do some nice stuff, but again; teh WOBBLEZ

[youtube][/youtube]
In that kind of context, with chorus just lathered all over the fucking signal, the wobblez actually sound pretty good.
I imagine it all goes to shit when swelling though, which is my main need for an octave pedal.
George

Post by George »

fwiw, the fender mustang amps (and i suppose other fuse software amps) have superb tracking for polyphonic octaves and pitch shifting etc, but that's not particularly helpful if you're looking for just a pedal, not the whole floor multi fx malarky.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

The Mooer Pure Octave tracks pretty much perfectly on guitar, but I had some issues on bass for some reason.

I have a feeling it might be based on the Micro POG, but I don't actually have any evidence to back that up.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Freddy V-C wrote:The Mooer Pure Octave tracks pretty much perfectly on guitar, but I had some issues on bass for some reason.

I have a feeling it might be based on the Micro POG, but I don't actually have any evidence to back that up.
Is that the dark red one? It's meant to be a straight rip, yeah, but it's doubtful they've managed to exactly copy the circuitry.

Looking at the review on Musicradar they say "mostly flawless" which I guess isn't as good as "flawless" (as with the POG) but, considering it's a good 50% of the price of the MicroPOG then I guess it's something you could live with.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Pretty certain it's the dark red one, yeah. I don't have mine to hand and for some reason I can't remember for the life of me what colour it is. But Google Images says dark red. My only complaint is that with bass it seems to pitch everything slightly flat, so it's pretty much unusable on bass unless you're wanting to sound REALLY FUCKING HORRIBLE.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

So, perfect for you then CUE LOUD GUFFAWS, SLAPPING OF KNEE etc
markarkark

Post by markarkark »

Anyone know whether the MicroPOG and the POG2 sound more-or-less the same? I read on some other forums that the MicroPOG 'sounds better' (whatever that means), but I it seems like the folk round here are less likely to imagine huge differences in tone that just aren't there...
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I think the MicroPOG used the POG 2 algorithm so probably sounds "better" than the POG 1. There would be no difference between the quality of the sounds of the POG 2 and the MicroPOG otherwise. So that sounds like bullshit.
markarkark

Post by markarkark »

ekwatts wrote:I think the MicroPOG used the POG 2 algorithm so probably sounds "better" than the POG 1. There would be no difference between the quality of the sounds of the POG 2 and the MicroPOG otherwise. So that sounds like bullshit.
Nice one, I had a sneaking suspicion that this might be the case.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

[youtube][/youtube]

Crappyass wobbles, guys. It's the same pitchshifting that has been in multi-fx for years, polyphonic but doesn't sound pure like the POG family.

[youtube][/youtube]
George

Post by George »

the mooer tracking is fucking terribad. i have the pitch shifter which broke under my pc chair. it ONLY tracked correctly to the b major scale

avoid like the plague
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Is the HOG not basically a POG with more bells (and whistles).
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

I always saw the POG as more of a distillation of the organ capabilities of the HOG. The HOG was designed to represent the drawbars of an organ as part of an overall guitar synth. As far as I remember they came out at the same time so they were developed in tandem.
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

The only other pitch shifter I know of that has fairly excellent tracking with chords is the Behringer Ultra Pitch Shifter/Harmonist, but it just doesnt have the same timbre as a POG/HOG and it cant do octave up and octave down simultaneously. Although, since theyre so cheap, you could easily get two and blend them together with a Boss Line Selector and do a 5th down and 7th up, for example (which is what I'm planning on doing once I find a job and get that ca$h m0ney)
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
πŸ³οΈβ€βš§οΈπŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ (she/they)
Freethenoise

Post by Freethenoise »

daftsupernova wrote:The only other pitch shifter I know of that has fairly excellent tracking with chords is the Behringer Ultra Pitch Shifter/Harmonist, but it just doesnt have the same timbre as a POG/HOG and it cant do octave up and octave down simultaneously. Although, since theyre so cheap, you could easily get two and blend them together with a Boss Line Selector and do a 5th down and 7th up, for example (which is what I'm planning on doing once I find a job and get that ca$h m0ney)
That sounds like a pretty sweet plan.

Because the Behringer offers more in terms of separate pitch matching things, you could make some really crazy, dark sounding chords.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

daftsupernova wrote:The only other pitch shifter I know of that has fairly excellent tracking with chords is the Behringer Ultra Pitch Shifter/Harmonist, but it just doesnt have the same timbre as a POG/HOG and it cant do octave up and octave down simultaneously. Although, since theyre so cheap, you could easily get two and blend them together with a Boss Line Selector and do a 5th down and 7th up, for example (which is what I'm planning on doing once I find a job and get that ca$h m0ney)
It's pretty weird that the polyphonic pitchshift mode on the Behringer does indeed sound a lot better than the Boss PS-5 it copies, I might pick one up and let the loser meet its Classifieds-based fate.

[youtube][/youtube]