OTM Jazzmaster is here to stay...

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

OTM Jazzmaster is here to stay...

Post by ultratwin »

I took the plunge on the 1999 CIJ I posted about before. Sure enough it's not Sherwood Green but has all of the charm, and some.

A bit more bangs and bumps than I'd normally appreciate, though I always like to play the heck out of a well set up Jazzmaster instead of babying one. Indonesian guy with a few too many expensive instruments sold it too me, and wouldn't budge on the price (a tad steeper than I normally would have paid for a used CIJ instrument), but I figured an OTM Jazzo with very little fret wear is enough of a rarity to warrant a minor splurge that I could justify with the selling of a few others in the collection. I shimmed the neck up five business cards thick and tweaked the bridge a bit, and the funky saddles/bridge are doing much better than I had anticipated. SD Antiquity IIs are being contemplated as the primary switchout, as I want this guy to sound a lot different from the ol' trusty sunburst, which is practically overwound P90ish in character with those tall Strat bobbins underneath the covers pumping out 13.5k ohms of angry jingle jangle.

Put on the "old sweaty t-shirt" formerly white guard that's been sitting around, and despite its shrinkage that made fitting around pickups a bit of a shoehorn job, it looks much nicer than the all-too-white guard it came with. I have a feeling that both red tort and gold anodized will be just as charming in its stead.

More to follow, blurry iPhone picture collage for now...

lorez

Post by lorez »

That looks lovely, especially with the guard on it!
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

OTM's a lovely colour, isn't it? Had my strat done in that colour. Well done you.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Absolutely lovely.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Very pretty. Congrats.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

That looks fantastic. I always wanted to put an aged pickguard on the OTM jag.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

LARVELY

Great guard swap. Fit.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Mike wrote:Swap guard. Fit.
For once we agree on something.

NickD

Post by NickD »

That looks really nice. The darker greens and blues seem to suit Jazzmasters.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Glad you guys like it. A quick online search (I'm so new to this color) yielded a zillion poasts on OSG (a hearty tsk, benecol!) and with that everything that looks like every combination and variant of LPB & SGM.

And yeah, the "week old underpants" blotchy yellow tint of the older guard really complements the oceany goodness of the thing, and the matching headstock linked by the rosewood board is really a nice touch to see in person.

Earlier in the day I put the gold anodized guard on and it really looks different to my eyes with changes in light (really can't tell if I like it or not yet). Gonna do a rooftop glamor shot sometime tomorrow morning when I get to work :P As for the non-aesthetic side of things, so far I'm the most surprised how nice that 10-46s feel/sound with the neck shim, although I'm very much used to banging chords out like a madman on 11-49s. This thing be a keepah either way.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

i tried those "heavy bottom, lighter top" strings and they do an admirable job of being playable and taming teh buzz
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

With a bit of a saddle-file and a set of those I can imagine things getting even better for me, since the 6th string will invariably be the one to jump ship.
finboy

Post by finboy »

outstanding jazzy, i really wish fender would bring back OTM for a few models *cough*starcaster*cough*
Richard

Post by Richard »

Simply stunning.
skip wrote:satan rules
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

It's different to have a Japanese Fender with a coloured logo with black outside, all the one's I've ever known have been black with a gold outline. That looks vintage style to me. Is it a recent model? Looks smashing.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

ultratwin wrote:OSG (a hearty tsk, benecol!)
This is HUGE. This is the closest Goodguyultra has ever come to hating on someone on the forum!

Love the Jazzy. Possibly the best looking color for them.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

looks awesome ultra! love jazzmasters, dont know what i was doing my whole life without it, aside from my tele i play it the most. the jag gets no love anymore.

love the color too, works so well with it with that matching headstock. usually hate matching headstocks on fenders. great score.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

ICEYBOMBIN'

More Chinese sand in the air means hazy sunshine and odd color tones, depending on the angle.

Gold anodized guard with the greenish blue in the sunlight looks kinda weird too, like I'm going to suddenly sprout a flannel shirt and indie-beard from my unsuspecting pores. Offwhite guard likely to go back on, but it's not like I have a show to impress folks with in the next six months :P

ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

theshadowofseattle wrote:
ultratwin wrote:OSG (a hearty tsk, benecol!)
This is HUGE. This is the closest Goodguyultra has ever come to hating on someone on the forum!
Haha :D