Best cheap twin P90 guitar?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Was it supposed to be a new guitar? I assumed it was a used one in somewhat worse condition than expected/described.

If you paid for a new one then I'd be sending that straight back and kicking off.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Just out of interest, which retailer did you buy it from George?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
George

Post by George »

would rather not say until the situation is resolved, so i don't cast aspersions onto them unwarrantedly

to be honest i'm happy with how it plays so i don't mind. if it was like the rickenbacker or some other more expensive guitar i'd make more of a fuss. i already piped up about the condition once before and they didn't offer any discount, just a refund, so they may just call my bluff again
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Aye... email them to set up a return, and watch their attitude to a discount change.
XY
George

Post by George »

that's what I mean. I already set one up for Monday which I've extended with the courier company. They never offered a discount, just a replacement from a different brand
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Tell them you want a refund not an exchange, see if that works. You can't pay new price for a demo guitar, if not send it back and buy new from somewhere else. This shop doesn't deserve your custom...
XY
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

^ Couldn't agree more. Fuck that.
George

Post by George »

Sorry I'm not explaining properly

The guitar arrived. I emailed them and said I want a refund. They said that's fine or they could offer a replacement. I said I'd take the refund. They booked in a collection for tomorrow from work to get the refund ball rolling. I ended up liking the guitar. I rescheduled the collection for Thursday using the dpds online thing so I can have longer to decide. I think I'm going to keep it, it's just whether I can get a discount or not, which they may not go for
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

In that case emailing them saying you like the guitar but are not happy about paying full price is a good bet... they might just be operating a no quibble returns policy and you've asked for a refund not a discount.
XY
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Any joy with the discount George?

Ps: Just seen this on eBay looks like the framus earl slick guitar just needs a bigsby.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 1210421759
XY
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Apologies for the continued thread derail but I played a second hand cherry red Vintage SG copy at Northern Guitars in Leeds today. £145 and I reckon I can talk them down to £120, possibly lower. It plays well (one of the reasons I usually buy second hand is because issues with the setup have usually been sorted) and has some nice wear. I MIGHT HAVE TO PULL THE TRIGGER EVEN THOUGH I REALLY SHOULDN'T UNTIL AFTER I'VE SOLD MY JAGMASTER GAHHH UHH.
George

Post by George »

that's quite alright freddy. when i was playing in bands in the local scene a fair few bands had Vintage SGs. really good for the money. I think you should do it, but also bear in mind they go for fairly cheap on ebay too.

dezb, i sent an email yesterday but have had no reply. that one you linked looks pretty cool. never played a skylark before. are they good?
sholkham

Post by sholkham »

Are the vintage SG's more or less correct in the body shape? I like the look of these ones

but I can't tell if the shape is wrong or if it's just the angle of the piture
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

George wrote:that's quite alright freddy. when i was playing in bands in the local scene a fair few bands had Vintage SGs. really good for the money. I think you should do it, but also bear in mind they go for fairly cheap on ebay too.

dezb, i sent an email yesterday but have had no reply. that one you linked looks pretty cool. never played a skylark before. are they good?

My plexiglass strat was a Skylark and played very well... I only sold it cause I wasn't Chic enough. I'd buy it myself if the wife wasn't already in a huff over me buying the 12 string Tele kit just before Christmas.
XY
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

sholkham wrote:but I can't tell if the shape is wrong or if it's just the angle of the piture
The one in that picture does look a bit odd, yeah. In person they've always looked fine to me.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Looks like someone saved me from temptation (and the ire of me wife) by buying the Skylark... if it was one of you lot thanks (and can I have first refusal if you decide sell it). :?
XY
George

Post by George »

wasn't me i'm staying with the vintage gold top

also yeah, the vintage sg shape is pretty much bang on. also has a more gibson proportioned headstock compared to epiphones
George

Post by George »

my god i finally worked out the p90s. as benecol once said, turn the volume down a bit on each pickup (i'm doing about 8 or 9), and they are really amazing. they pretty much don't do cleans but have an amazing chirpy, percussive and yet raspy tone that really cuts through when played with low-mid gains. best served with a pick - i've not worked out how to get a nice tone with fingers yet.

also, thinking about buying an epiphone 339 and putting some gfs surf 90s in to fulfill my needs for a gretschy guitar
George

Post by George »

bought some of these from axesrus

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/ProductDetails ... 0-EARLY50s

alnico 3, vintage wind and true single coil construction. they should have less mids and more top end. not bad for £40 a set.i just don't think i'm getting on with these stacked wilkos. too hot, too middy, too woolly .
George

Post by George »

pickups now installed. they do exactly what they said they would. sound wonderful. the foam spacers are crap so they're too low at the moment. to be continued, although i may leave them for now