bought some monitors - what are good albums to listen to

Guitar techniques, music theory, recording and anything to do with actually playing your guitar

Moderated By: mods

stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

Concretebadger wrote:
Paradigmforcosmos wrote:
Concretebadger wrote:Yeah, Ummagumma is a game of two halves really. The live disc is fantastically good while the studio one sounds like half-baked ideas and studio doodling. The same goes for Meddle for me - Echoes is absolutely epic, but it felt like they had the excellence of 'One of These Days' and then a big gap in the rest of the other side to fill. To my shame, I've never listened to Animals all the way through. I think it's because it felt like they lost a big creative force when Waters left. And I'm a huge admirer of Gilmour too.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but the last album Roger Waters did with Pink Floyd was The Final Cut in 1983. He was a very present creative force when they recorded Animals in 1976.
My bad - I didn't make myself clear there. I sort-of part company with PF around A Momentary Lapse of Reason...Animals and The Final Cut - the tracks I've got around to listening to so far, at any rate - have real lyrical and thematic power behind them. After that, there were some interesting sounds and whatnot, but my favourite stuff of theirs is the material that had Waters involved. FWIWI, I love The Wall as well, but I find it hard to appreciate the songs individually.
waters wrote animals though. it came out between wish you were here and the wall, just before he disappeared up his own arse.

[youtube][/youtube]
jculpjr

Post by jculpjr »

Its my understanding that many studios used to tweak their mixing room acoustics by playing XTC's "Skylarking"- and they still might be. It is a great recording. Another is Failure's "Fantastic Planet".
markleton

Post by markleton »

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is a very cool album to listen to 'properly'. Very dense and well produced.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

stewart wrote:(with the exception of Atom Heart Mother- a turd of an album)
have just listened to a version of the title track recorded for the BBC for a peel session of some sort, and it was pretty fucking great. shame it was toss in the studio.
vroaches

Post by vroaches »

My bloody valentine - loveless, or anything shoegaze-y that you enjoy would probably be good.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

I seem to be advertising it in every thread that'll listen, but The Inheritors by Holden has a lot going on.